Vista help.

Did the laptop come with vista pre-installed? If it did then the BIOS should be ok, has the laptop got a vista ready sticker on it?

Yes it has the sticker. I just changed all my power option settings again to maybe give me some hope even to plans I don't use. I am out of options :s

I'm not on my vista installation at the moment or i would talk you through the settings you need. If no one else sorts it for you, i will check on the vista pc later when i have some time.:)

When I go to my power options and then the 'change what happens when you close the lid' option. I have found out it talks nothing even about the lid at all and talks about what happens when I press the power and sleep button.. Is it supposed to be like this?

It should have laptop specific power options, ex what to do when the lid is closed. There should also be a battery power controller, app thingy. Unplug the power from the AC and the battery icon will come up in the tray. Double click it. I think HPs have the laptop power options in the battery app, but I don't know for sure.

*Edit*

A quick google search gave me this, since I don't know anything about vista
HOPE THIS HELPS

Kinda helped but I don't know if it's what I am exactly looking for. I want to prevent my internet turning off when I close the lid of my laptop.. And when I click on the change what happens when I close the lid link under power options it goes to same page as the what happens when I press the power buttons page. :\

I can keep my lid open and my internet will stay on, but I want to be able to close it :\

Have you been in your power settings and disabled all power saving settings? Try that and see what happens. If that doesnt sort it then try everything ive suggested below. Do you leave the AC power connected to the laptop?If none of this works then it might just be a bug in Vista.

Did you ever check your network card properties like i suggested? If you goto device manager and check the properties of the card. Look in the advanced tab settings and the power management settings there. Look for something like "Wake from Shutdown" mode and turn it on.

Like i said earlier, the system BIOS must be capable of responding to Plug and Play and power management events. By definition, any system with an ACPI BIOS includes this capability. Non-ACPI computers with a Plug and Play BIOS are capable of performing asubset of Plug and Play functions but will not be as capable as ACPI computers. So make sure you definately have the latest BIOS.

Make sure you have all the latest drivers and that they are compatable with Vista. The device driver must be capable of interacting with the operating system and responding to device notification and power management events. A Plug and Play driver can load automatically when Windows detects that a device has been plugged in, and it can suspend and resume properly along with the system. If this driver isnt 100% compatable, then this could be causing your problems.

Ive been doing a bit more digging around aswell. Your're not the only one having this problem. This wont solve the problem but it might help till we can work out a proper solution (or MS get their fingers out their arse and sort this issue out). Theres a program called network magic and some people are having success with this, you can get it here www.networkmagic.com basically all you do when you lose the connection is click on the fix network button and it restores your connection, not a fix, but it might save you having to reboot all the time.

Right, well thats me out of ideas for now, let me know how you get on with all that, and if it doesnt sort it il try to think of some more stuff to try.:)

I think I may have lead you onto a wrong problem. I don't have to turn my computer off. I literally have no lid option. My wireless shuts off when I close the lid of my notebook. I don't have to restart my notebook when I come back to it either, the problem is when I close the lid that the internet just shuts off in a matter of minutes.. I don't know why but not having the lid option must be doing it for me and I can't find the solution anywhere. I have tried all of the things you suggested but none of them are working :s

Thank you Raffaz.

Back
Top Bottom