vinyl to sound blaster live 24 bit.

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
hi,
i am trying to convert some of my old vinyl tracks to mp3.
i have my old record deck with a two audio to 1 phono jack cable coming from it.
i have that jack into my midi hi fi system, which is playing the vinyl tracks without a problem. if i insert my headphones into the hi fi, the sound plays without a problem.
now here is my problem. if i now place a male to male jack into the headphones on my hi fi, and into my sound blaster live 24 bit sound card audio in jack i get nothing! i have audacity installed to record the tracks, and that does not detect that the track is playing!
if i insert the ,male to male jack from the hi fi into my microphone jack in the PC, the track plays and audacity can record it. however with it being the microphone input the sound quality is poor.
am i wrong in thinking that the audio input in the sound blaster card would get the signal from my hi fi?
does anyone know why i am failing abismaly?
any help apreciated.

hi,
i am trying to convert some of my old vinyl tracks to mp3.
i have my old record deck with a two audio to 1 phono jack cable coming from it.
i have that jack into my midi hi fi system, which is playing the vinyl tracks without a problem. if i insert my headphones into the hi fi, the sound plays without a problem.
now here is my problem. if i now place a male to male jack into the headphones on my hi fi, and into my sound blaster live 24 bit sound card audio in jack i get nothing! i have audacity installed to record the tracks, and that does not detect that the track is playing!
if i insert the ,male to male jack from the hi fi into my microphone jack in the PC, the track plays and audacity can record it. however with it being the microphone input the sound quality is poor.
am i wrong in thinking that the audio input in the sound blaster card would get the signal from my hi fi?
does anyone know why i am failing abismaly?
any help apreciated.

You need a RIAA Phono Preamp. For starters vinyl is alot more quiet (output levels simmilar to mic) compared to a line level output. Secondly, the higher frequency's need to be amplified much stronger than the lower frequency's.

I'd just get a nice older pre-amp with high quality phono inputs, to preserve the quality of your recordings. Also note that your crappy sound card also won't do justice, as you'll drop lots of sound quality recording from it.

well i would do the above as that would imporve quality a lot

also i think you may have audacity set to record from the mic and so change it to record from line in and it should work

no i already have it set to line in.

D j Chris, all i wanted to know was if the sound-card would work in that type of situation. there was no need for you to state that my sound-card was crappy. i know that it is a low end sound-card, that is not in question. i don't get off on the size of my sound-card. i suggest if you want to help people out on this forum, you try to put your opinion over in a more subtle way.
thank you for suggesting me using a pre amp, i had already researched that.
however i found a article saying that the set up which i was using should work, hence i tried it out.
woz.

Back
Top Bottom