Nothing showing up on screen..

SwitchBlade305

Baseband Member
So I just put together a new computer, and everything seems to be running great.. The only problem is, is that nothing is showing up on the screen when I turn the power on.. the PSU is getting power, and is giving power to the rest of the computer, because I can hear the hard drive running, I can open the disk tray for the CD-R and the heatsink fan is spinning on the motherboard.. It just seems weird that everything inside the computer is running well, but its still not giving me any sort of picture on the screen.. Also, the moniter is plugged in, and the cable going to the graphics card is in tightly. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the IDE slot? Im pretty sure everything is going to the right places.. Also, the graphics card works fine.. its an old fx5500.. another thing, the motherboard I ordered off of newegg doesn't have a VGA slot that I can just plug into and get in the bios Anyone have a clue what the problem might be? If you post any questions regarding something I did not state I will be here to answer them

umm my very first thoughts would be a dodgy graphics card.

if pos try that card in diff computer or try diff card in ur computer.

my second thought would be RAM take that out and reseat it just to make sure its in right.

im 99% sure its nothing to do with your ide slot as im pretty sure every single mobo will still show a bios flash screen first and then say please insert system disk.

so yh check graphics card, RAM and if pos try a diff monitor not like as im sure most monitors will give a company logo or something or a no signal detected ? or something like that is the monitor is working.

also is this your first build ? how confidate are you that everything is compatible ? can u post links to what you bought ?
or give us your full spec

full specs please....could be motherboard, ram, video card. make sure everything is seated properly.is the auxilary cpu power connector plugged in?

Specs are :

Motherboard : Foxconn K8S755A-6ELRS Socket 754 SiS 755
Ram : 768 MB of Corsair DDR 333 Value select
GPU: Geforce fx 5200 AGP 8x
HD: 80 gig WD @ 7200 RPM
PSU: 350 watt Rosewill

Funny thing you mention the CPU power 4-pin.. The power supply that I am using actually doesnt have a 4-pin coming out of it.. I assume this could be an issue? However, I am looking inside my computer now, and the 4-pin power for the CPU isnt plugged in on my computer either.. but I do have one hanging loose from the psu and my good old machine runs flawless all of the time, so do you necessarily need the 4-pin for the cpu? Another thing.. I took out the fx 5200, plugged in an ati 9800 pro that I had lying around, plugged a power cord into it, turned on the computer, and noticed that the fan on the card was not spinning at all.. it almost seems like I have to activate the agp slot or something.. but no VGA slot on the motherboard means im not getting into the bios if thats something that needs to be done :( Or maybe its a bad AGP slot?

that is probably the problem. switch out the PSU's on the computer your using now so you can plug in the cpu 4 pin

Ok so i switched out the power supplies, got the one that had the small square 4-pin connector, plugged it into the slot that is right next to the cpu heatsink, and turned it on.. and I am still not getting any picture whatsoever. But heres the interesting part, the whole computer is getting power, but it doesnt seem like the agp slot is recognizing that I have a graphics card in the slot.. the card that I am using is a geforce fx 5200, and I actually took the card out of that machine, put it in my machine, and it works just fine.. picture and all.. I also took out my geforce 6200 le from my machine, plugged it into the other machine, and there is still no picture.. but both cards work flawless in my machine.. so wouldnt that make sense that it could be the motherboard? Also, the motherboard that I have doesnt have a VGA slot on it, so theres no way I can get basic video just to go into the bios or anything like that.. I just wish there was a way I could go into the bios to make sure the agp slot is on.. but I cant do it because like I said, theres no VGA slot on the motherboard :( Do you even have to enable agp slots in bios'? Or does it come standard with motherboards to automatically enable the agp slot as soon as you make a new build? I honestly dont think the motherboard is bad, and the cards are fine, so I think it might be something simple that I cant figure out.. All connections are also tight and secure. If anyone has a clue as to what I could do it would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if you have done this, coz i can't be bothered to go through the whole post. Have you tried resetting the CMOS from the jumper on your mobo? If not then give it a try.

There will be a jumper near the battery on the mobo, they normally have CMOS wrote next to it. You just need to move the jumper to the other position, then leave it for a minute before returning it to where it was originally. There are a few other methods aswell, so double check your mobo manual and that should tell you how to reset it aswell.

Back
Top Bottom