Computer shuts off upon restart!

Steemax

Daemon Poster
Ok, where to start, when I start up the computer the bios and everything loads up fine with a beep that checks everything off perfectly, ok the windows logo comes up and the blue bar .. it loads all the way, then the screen goes black and the computer shuts down, In order for me to start it up I have to switch the I to 0 in the back of the power supply, take off the power wire wait 5 seconds then put the wire back switch the supply on and turn the computer on.. One more thing.. when I try restoring the computer it gets trought the blue screen part till it comes upon a menu that says press enter to continue , R to repair and esc to cancel, the computer shuts off again like i explained up there with the same procedure to turn it back on.. ok things ive tried... Ive tried clearing the CMOS, replacing the battery on the Mboard, taking the battery out for a minute to reset bios, Ive also tried messing with some of the bios settings.. ive also tried lowering the FBS and I also tried increasing the voltage with no luck, Ive tried different harddrives, different CPU's, differnt sticks of ram in different configurations.... nothing would work =(, the computer specs are:

Asrock Mobo K7v series..
AMD athlon 2100+
1gb Kingston Ram
Nvidia FX 5600 256 vid card by MSI
420 Watt powersupply
and plenty of cooling including a TT CPU cooler...
oh and a 120gb 7200 RPM WD caviar..

any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like the power supply, or something anyway, is shorting out. If it shuts off everytime at the same point in boot up it might be software related though. If you have another power supply, try it out and see if that solves the problem.

Ok i replaced the power supply like you suggested and now I can boot up to windows =) BUT im running 2 harddrives one 40gb and one 120gb the thing is when i try to restore and I boot from a restore cd, and I pick the 40gb to format the computer shuts down and this time. the power LED remains lit and all other lights remain lit except all fans and the HDD's shut off including PS and no fans work.. its very wierd.. does this mean the 40g is toast?

I take back the fact that the comp shuts off when i pick 40g , it now shuts off when it instanlty arrives to that menu.. and all the comp lights stay on but all fans are off and everything is shut... but i can perfeclty load up my current version of windows.. this is bodersom because i need to restore O_O..

Remove the 40GB HDD and see if maybe it will stay on once you get to that menu... Maybe one of your sticks of ram is bad casing it to shut off. If you have 2 or more sticks of ram, take out one at a time and see if it works. I'm just shooting in the dark here because that's what I always do to fix my PC problems that I didn't already know how to fix, it usually works after some guess and check.

yeah so finaly figured out the problem...i almost killed my self (//_-) on how stupid the problem was... the cpu just need thermal paste --____-- . works like a charm now ...

Back
Top Bottom