NL woman questions whether eye disease linked to lens cleaner

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2007/07/04/contact-recall.html?ref=rss

nl-greening-ashley-20070704.jpg
nl-lens-solution-20070704.jpg

A St. John's woman wants to know whether a recalled batch of contact lens solution is to blame for her rare eye disease.

Ashley Greening has been diagnosed with Acanthamoeba keratitis — also known as AK — which has cost her vision in her right eye and causes constant pain.

"I thought I had a minor eye infection, and I [thought], 'Whatever, no big deal,' I'll get some Polysporin drops for it and it'll be OK. Four days later, I had no vision," Greening told CBC News.

That happened 10 months ago. At first, Greening thought she had acquired the infection through normal means.

However, she learned that her brand of contact lens solution was recalled in May.

Advanced Medical Optics voluntarily recalled its product — marketed in Canada as Complete All-In-One Contact Lens Care Solution — in late May, after U.S. investigators found a link between the solution and the AK infection. The recall applies in the United States and in Canada.

Greening, who has had to pay thousands of dollars on medications, is awaiting a cornea transplant before she consults a lawyer.

Toronto lawyer Joel Rochon is heading up a Canadian class-action lawsuit against AMO. Rochon told CBC News that dozens of people in Canada have come forward with the AK infection, and that he believes the product is responsible.

"The amount of disinfectant in the All-In-One-solution, produced by AMO, is not strong enough to kill off the growth of bacteria that naturally occurs in the eye, and then others are saying that the actual solution is contaminated," Rochon said.

Greening, meanwhile, is planning to have the leftover contents of her bottle of AMO contact lens solution tested.

Back
Top Bottom