Worth upgrading to a 7200 rpm HD?

Toby1

Daemon Poster
Okay so I have a 5400 RPM HD in my laptop at the moment and am wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the same model HD, but at 7200 rpm? And would the temp in the 7200 rpm drive be much more than with a 5400 rpm drive?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HITACHI-100G...ryZ31567QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Also, I know I'd need an external enclosure for the 5400 rpm drive... Would this be okay?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-2-5-EXTE...QQihZ012QQcategoryZ111503QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the advice. :)

Well, considering it is a laptop, i suppose the temperatures would rise but not dramatically. How big is your old 5400RPM? And yes, the external enclosure is great.

Old 5400 is 120 Gig, not much of a size difference... I'll just use the 5400 as a backup drive... besides, I haven't even used half of my 120 Gigs, so 100 should be fine for a main drive. Speed is my main concern, and I admit, when I got my laptop I could of got a 7200 rpm drive for $106, but back then, I was worried about temperatures... Not so much anymore though.

I shouldn't need any extra sata calbes or anything should I? Just a straight swap?

Btw, thanks for the reply.

Be back soon, going to watch Heroes season final.

there is a HUGE difference. im running xp on my desktop at 5400RPM and it is so slow compared to my old 7200RPM that im still trying to get fixed :(

i agree i deff would go with the 7200 a huge increase my brother frind has a hp notebook with only 5400 rpms and it loads slow!!! I have a 7200 drive and it loads as fast as a desktop. unless you have like a raptor or something.

Yeah, I figured as much, so it should just be a straight swap hey? Since it's the same model and everything.

Do you think that's a decent price for the 7200 Drive?

Most other places I've seen sell them for $150+... So it seems to be a good deal.

yea thats a real good deal notebook drives are expensive... thats why when you buy one you try to get what ever you want in it there and then!Let me know how much the speed increases!

Will do, just downloaded a dell service manual so I don't bugger anything up... lol

Thanks for all the help.

Laptop should last me quite a while, especially now once I've read the manual I should be able to upgrade parts when the time comes. :)

Back
Top Bottom