Mysterious Beep

All good suggestions... I will check the battery is seated next time I have the case open, although I checked that when I assembled everything a week ago. Thanks guys. I think I should order some Arctic Silver and another case fan and see if that brings the temp down a little.

just a thought but is the cmos battery in there corectly and not flat . the beep may be telling you the cmos battery is dead
If it was the battery then there would be a warning at boot saying checksum error etc and to press F1 to continue, so i dont think its that.
EDIT
I've been looking throught the manual for your mobo, can't find much. I did notice an alarm function in there, is that turned on? Also your mobo comes with PCprobe software so it might be worth using that to monitor your hardware to see if it shows anything.

Have you changed any BIOS settings at all, or are they all on stock settings? Might be worth resetting the CMOS just to see if theres some sort of rogue setting causing the beep.

If it was the battery then there would be a warning at boot saying checksum error etc and to press F1 to continue, so i dont think its that.

I thought that only happened if you cut the power from the mobo as i have used computers with dead cmos batteries and as long as they are left plugged in you have no problems

Maybe different manufacturers have different ways, but ive never seen a mobo boot with a dead battery without giving some sort of warning.

Maybe different manufacturers have different ways, but ive never seen a mobo boot with a dead battery without giving some sort of warning.

if you unplugged the machine and left it unplugged for like 5 mins then it does Tried it on my asus board now and there seems to be power flowing through the board even when its off but plugged is as there is an LED on . This also makes sense for my board cos it can be powered on with the space bar on the keyboard

if you unplugged the machine and left it unplugged for like 5 mins then it does Tried it on my asus board now and there seems to be power flowing through the board even when its off but plugged is as there is an LED on . This also makes sense for my board cos it can be powered on with the space bar on the keyboard
Exactly, which is another reason there wouldnt be a beep for a dead battery. How would it know it had a dead battery when there is an external source of power?:)

One more thing, the BIOS alerts you at bootup, so it wouldnt warn of a battery problem when windows is running:)

EDIT
I've been looking throught the manual for your mobo, can't find much. I did notice an alarm function in there, is that turned on? Also your mobo comes with PCprobe software so it might be worth using that to monitor your hardware to see if it shows anything.

Have you changed any BIOS settings at all, or are they all on stock settings? Might be worth resetting the CMOS just to see if theres some sort of rogue setting causing the beep.

I am using PC Probe to check temps etc. I let it run and set the CPU temp threshold at 70 and played DoD for a couple hours. I heard it beep a few times, but there were no warnings or alerts from PC Probe when I exited.

BIOS settings are pretty much stock. I've only changes the memory speed, memory voltage, disabled the sound.

Are you overclocking the memory then? What happens if you reset the memory timings?

Memory speed is set at DDR 800 for DDR 800 memory, and I had the beeps when it was set to AUTO for a while. I haven't tried underclocking it. All the timings are set to AUTO.

This might sound stupid, but sometimes while playing games you might hear a beep because of sticky keys. It's this Windows thing about pressing a button for more than five seconds, and it just its way of warning you that you're holding down that key for a excessive amount of time. I'm not sure, but hey it might be the answer to your question.
This may be the problem. I've done this myself many times. It could be the sticky keys or that you may be hitting too many keys at the same time. :D

Back
Top Bottom