Hard Drive Problem

coolfella

In Runtime
I just bought a 80GB seagate hard drive,so that i could transfer all of my files from my 30Gb but i dnt see the hard drive in the MY COMPUTER folder,so how can I back it up and use the 80GB as my permanent drive,and use my 30GB when anything happens to my computer, the 80Gb is recognized in Device Manager and anywhere, but i dnt see it in the MY COMPUTER folder so tht i could transfer the files,

i used backup and nero backitup but it doesnt show the 80Gb hdd

thanks for any help

Install the software that came with the 80GB drive and format it. At the moment, brand new it will be a raw file system, which is why it won't show up in My Computer. once you do that, it will show up as a secondary drive (most likely D) in My Computer.

EDIT: put the 30GB as master and the 80GB as slave. The jumpers on cable select never seems to work right with me, so I just set it as I really want the drives to be.

To use the 80GB as a boot drive, you will need to get a program to ghost the data from the 30GB to the 80GB (such as Norton Ghost, or something similar). Either that or install a new copy of Windows straight on to the 80GB drive. I personally would use the 80GB for storage and the 30 for boot.

Cool, can you do us a favor and watch the double posting. Use the edit button next time.

Jesus pretty much hit the nail on the head though. I don't trust Cable select. If the drive did not come with any software, you can format the drive so windows sees it in "my comptuer" by typing "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) in the run dialog box.

thanks, i will use norton ghost, but it is actually working as two different harddrives ,and i dnt like it tht way, so i would use the 80Gb as only for games

thanks, i will use norton ghost, but it is actually working as two different harddrives ,and i dnt like it tht way, so i would use the 80Gb as only for games
What do you mean? It's 2 different HDD's so they will act like 2 different HDD's

Back
Top Bottom