How much PC Knowledge to you have? I need help.

Thieflock

Solid State Member
Random restarts! I've been experiencing them since I bought my PC (Over a year!). It's a custom Rig with the build:

AMD X2 3800+ 2.0 Ghz
Zalman CPU Fan
1.5 GB Corsair XMS
500 GB Sea Gate HDDR
OCZ 700W PSU
Nvidia 7950GT 256MB
BIOSTAR 6100 M9 Motherboard

I know it's not the RAM because I used Windows Memory Diagnostic and the test showed my memory was fine, also I would imagine that 700W would be enough with all that hardware so we can rule that out. The only other things I can think of is a motherboard chip issue or CPU over heating but I unchecked the "Automatic Restart" in the "Startup and Recovery" tab in "System Properties" to see if I would get an error message about CPU temperature but I didn't get an error message just a random restart again. Please guys if you think you know or have an idea for me to try let me hear it because I don't want to build a new Rig. I put too much money into this one not to get at least another year out of it.

Well yeah, the PSU might be enough watts wise but it might also have burnt itself out. Have you OC'ed at all? I have had that problem after I overclocked too highly, or made a mistake with my ram:fsb ratio.

Get Everest, and check the temps too just in case.

I have not OC'ed, it is a new PSU, bought it last week and a new CPU. My guess is that it is the motherboard because its the only hardware that is still in my computer from the original build. But is there any diagnostic software to check for that?

Not that I am aware of. Random restarts means the system is unstable. Rum Prime95 (even though you haven't overclocked), and see what happens. Try the "Torture Test". It will show how your computer does under stress.

I did both of the recommended tests, Prime95 I ran for an hour and a half, and I ran MemTest for 30 minutes, it got to %1100 coverage with 0 errors. What next??? I only get random restarts after playing a graphically intense game for 20+ minutes. If that helps.

Could be your graphics card on its way out or an overheating issue., have you got sufficient ventilation? what temperature is you computer running at?, It could also be a driver issue, have you installed any new hardware or software lately which might be conflicting with something else. run a spyware an antivirus program just to see if you have any malaware but I dont think its that.

Yeah, use CPUcool, Everest, or Speedfan. They are all great for monitoring temps.

Back
Top Bottom