myspace IM

0x0161

BSOD
IM curious, if someone has 'myspace IM' on one of the workstations at work (small office consists of two desktops and one notebook). Couple of the employees like to use 'myspace IM at work'. Couple questions,

#1. Does it post any type of security threat? If so, how?

Im curious if someone is chatting with someone inside the office using "myspace IM" can the DATA (traffic) inside the office can it be sniffed by a packet sniffer from someone outside of the network? Basically, the other person their chatting with on myspace IM?

All help is greatly appreciated.
0X0161

IM curious, if someone has 'myspace IM' on one of the workstations at work (small office consists of two desktops and one notebook). Couple of the employees like to use 'myspace IM at work'. Couple questions,

#1. Does it post any type of security threat? If so, how?

Im curious if someone is chatting with someone inside the office using "myspace IM" can the DATA (traffic) inside the office can it be sniffed by a packet sniffer from someone outside of the network? Basically, the other person their chatting with on myspace IM?

All help is greatly appreciated.
0X0161

All traffic can always be sniffed by a person outside, no matter what it is. This is why we all use encryption for important things :)

All traffic can always be sniffed by a person outside, no matter what it is.

Sure, if the person some how manages to become part of the network either through (_wired or wireless_). Then they should be able to capture (sniff) the traffic. But until then, you have to find a way to get on/be a part of the network.

The workstations have a lot of spyware,malware etc... on them they need to be cleaned up. I bet a lot of that stuff is because of it.
I would just uninstall it and block them from accessing www.myspace.com but this is in a doctors office with only 2 workstations and a notebook. I don't see to go to that 'level of security," "so to speak,"

Back
Top Bottom