RAM Hungry Friend

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hi,

im building a new computer for a friend and he knows a very little bit bout computers and all he has told me is he wants 4GB RAM and an E6600 ?

now he doesnt really need that at all he only runs a couple IE and WMP and maybe burn the odd DVD with nero so i tell him he really doesnt need that much power so i tell him fair enough bout the processor future proof your self but 4GB RAM u really really dont need.

i have also heard somewhere that more than 3GB RAM on windows xp slows it down ? is this true ? i heard somewhere aswell that xp can only recognise 3.25GB RAM ? is this 1 true ?

n e ways i just wonna know what the benifits are from having 4GB RAM to 2GB RAM i mean if it has no down falls then ill just get it for him and then he wont need to upgrade for a long time so...

i dont think having 4GB RAM can slow it down but its just a rumour i heard and wonna check it out ? wot kinda problems is he lookin at with 4GB RAM (if any ?)

well tbh i dunno about it being slower i believe so but i dont wanna say a definate yes so i will let someone elxplain .
the thing i would do is put 2gb in for now cos that is the one everyone is hitting up to and then add more later . also what else does he want in it cos tbh for that i would get the budget £100 mobo cpu and ram i showed you a few months back for them tasks but up to 2gb ram
but if the custemer says this then i suppose they are always right

well TBH he is giving me 80 quid for doing the build so i might just say ok ur the boss u say u want 4GB RAM and E6600 thats wot u get.

but i think if i could have some evidence that 2GB RAM is better than 4GB RAM then maybe he will see sense .

BTW do you think RAM speed is gonna take over RAM size ? like in a years time or so 2GB 1333Mhz RAM will be better than 4GB 800Mhz ? or something ?

i dont realy know about the ram speeds thing , maybe as that is the way it is with gpu's now but i dont pay much attention to the high end parts as i cant afford them :D

as for the ram i would try and show him he could get the job done much cheaper he may value the advice . if not build him what he wants

Your better off just using 3Gb of RAM in a 32 bit system. Go for the 4Gb if its a 64 bit system. Basically anything over 3GB is wasted. This is all to do with the DOS days and the 640kb limit back then, this is still in place now for backward compatability reasons, otherwise you wouldnt be to use DOS. For a complete explanation, read this.:)
http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

right with that info in mind i should be able to convince him not to get 4GB

BUT

whats the deal with 64 bit OS ? are they n e diff from 32 bit ? and if i was to aquire a 64 bit XP would my old serial no. work on it ? also does the e6600 support 64 bit ?

wot about vista or vista lite can they handle more than 3GB ?

the only 64 bit is with xp pro and of course vista.i have 4 gb of ram on my computer and haven't got any lag or anything. but unless he is getting vista he shoulden't get 4 gigs because i never really go above 56 % usage on anything i do. but it deff will be futureproof if he decides to get vista his machine will beable to rock it!

right with that info in mind i should be able to convince him not to get 4GB

BUT

whats the deal with 64 bit OS ? are they n e diff from 32 bit ? and if i was to aquire a 64 bit XP would my old serial no. work on it ? also does the e6600 support 64 bit ?

wot about vista or vista lite can they handle more than 3GB ?
Your serial wouldnt work because its a different OS. The main difference is the fact that you need 64bit drivers and these are sometimes hard to get, they can also handle more RAM by default. The E6600 does support 64bit.

32 bit vista handles RAM exactly as any other 32bit OS, the limit exists in all 32 bit versions of Windows. There is a 4 GB address space available to a 32 bit OS. Some of this address space is needed to memory map peripherals. The motherboard does this before Windows loads and this determines how much RAM Windows reports. Some motherboards have settings in the BIOS that can change this, most don't. The fix is to run a 64 bit OS. Even then some motherboards will still have this limitation.

hi,

im building a new computer for a friend and he knows a very little bit bout computers and all he has told me is he wants 4GB RAM and an E6600 ?

now he doesnt really need that at all he only runs a couple IE and WMP and maybe burn the odd DVD with nero so i tell him he really doesnt need that much power so i tell him fair enough bout the processor future proof your self but 4GB RAM u really really dont need.

i have also heard somewhere that more than 3GB RAM on windows xp slows it down ? is this true ? i heard somewhere aswell that xp can only recognise 3.25GB RAM ? is this 1 true ?

n e ways i just wonna know what the benifits are from having 4GB RAM to 2GB RAM i mean if it has no down falls then ill just get it for him and then he wont need to upgrade for a long time so...

i dont think having 4GB RAM can slow it down but its just a rumour i heard and wonna check it out ? wot kinda problems is he lookin at with 4GB RAM (if any ?)

With the extreme low price of ram nowadays, why not.

its around 50$ per gig even on some of the really cheap ram that is 200$ for ram alone. i would rather get 150$ of high performance ram than have 4 gigs.

how about give him 3gigs. he wont need a 64 bit os and will be a tad lighter on the wallet

Back
Top Bottom