Is Vista really bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought of using Vista on the rig i'm planning on getting....I found a fella who builds really good systems at almost the same price as me ordering the parts and building it myself...plus all his work comes with a year warranty! :D

He said he doesn't use Vista as the OS because Micro$oft tracks what you do (file sharing, web sites you visit etc.) i was wondering if he was right?

A good Vista experience really depends on your hardware, and that's all I have to say. You'll definitely have a better experience with newer better hardware.

No, Microsoft doesn't track what you do. That's invasion of privacy and illegal.

From my point of view Vista is not yest ready to be on the market.

this system is very powerful and resource taking OS.

And many users cant afford to update it yet.

There are many drivers issues.

I dont have any think agains it but i preffer XP still :D :D :D

What driver issues? I have yet to have one.

i was using vista today and i plugged my friends n95 in and it didnt have the drivers or anything, although i had them over on xp. it guided me through it all and i choose to scan my c drive for drivers. shortly after it installed all the drivers for everything. i thought that was nice as xp can be a bit wierd.
also setting up an ad hoc network is so easy in vista. i dont know how to do it in xp. the more i see of vista the more i realise that its good, although theres still problems

I have Vista..I have 2 printers..joysticks ..racing steering wheel ..graphics tablet..scanner..used numerous different keyboards and mice...had it installed on 2 separate machines and am yet to have ANY driver issues. I feel that the people with driver issues are either too lazy to search for the correct driver or using super old hardware. Of course Vista is a resource hog..It is a brand new operating system. 98 was a hog compared to 95. XP was a hog compared to 98. Remember 98 capable rigs used to come with 64Mb of RAM...try running XP on that when it first came out. Heaps of hardware didnt work with XP at first or games. GET OVER IT. It will happen with every new o/s. I find it unbelievable that people expect microsoft to come out with wizz bang technological advancements..that run on hardware they bought back in 1995. I would never go back to XP.

The latest Offering from Microsoft's DOS stable,Windows Vista has come under heavy criticism by numerous companies and groups.Criticisms of Windows Vista have included concerns about the security implications of the large amounts of new code, the inclusion of a number of new Digital Rights Management technologies aimed at restricting the copying of digital media, and the usability of the new User Account Control security technology.Additionally, reviewers have noted similarities between the Vista interface and that of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Concerns have also been raised about many PCs not meeting "Vista Premium Ready" hardware requirements.

I've used vista for awhile and I've had nothing but positive experiences with it. Here are my responses to the points you've brought up.
1. I don't think that's true. If it was, my limewire and utorrent software would be gone. Not to mention my DVD copying and decrypting software.
2. Not true, that would be an invasion of privacy as would #1. What "features" of my computer or software are they blocking? I've never had problems with any features on my computer or software.
3. I haven't once been forced to install new programs or pay for any. I've always had the option of installing or not installing a program or feature and when I click no it doesn't nag me to do so. There are tons of free programs you can get from the microsoft live site. I've picked up a few free games from there.
4. Once again, not true. I've had no problems accessing my data. This would also be an invasion of privacy. I guarantee you that if this was true, someone would be in trouble. I'd be interested to know how microsoft could pull off such a stunt as this.

As for DRM, I've heard it's not really much to worry about as it won't be around until something like 2009 and it's mainly for HD content. I don't even use HD stuff, I still use standard DVDs and CDs which I've had no problem copying either of which.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, I just think those myths don't hold much water. I thought the same thing until I actually tried vista, now you couldn't pay me to go back to XP and all the flaws it still had 5 years later. Sure vista has some incompatibilities but once they're worked out, I think it will be the OS microsoft has needed since windows ME tanked.
Same here, no problems with any restrictions on Vista, I can run the programs I want and being forced to install new programs and pay for them? I've never heard of anyone with that problem and I definitely haven't encountered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom