Hard Drive Issue

unblack4god

Baseband Member
Ok, got a problem here that I'm still trying to solve.

I believe that I'm currently sitting on a 200 GB hard drive. However, when I check the properties on the C drive, it only accounts for 30.3 GBs: 20.2 GBs used and 10.1 GBs free. What I'm trying to figure out is where is the other 169.7 GBs at?

harddrive1.jpg

That's a pic of the C Drive

harddrive2.jpg

And that's a pic of the My Documents folder, which accounts for a little over 8 of the 20.2 used GBs.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Because I don't...:confused:

Bryan,

Are you sure that the disk is properly installed? Do you have any other disks installed?

Go to start>control panel>performance & matience>admin tools>computer managment>storage>Disk Managment Local and see if you have any unallocated space. Its possible you made a partition to install the OS however did not extend the partition or create a new partition to use the remainder of the drive.

Bryan,

Are you sure that the disk is properly installed? Do you have any other disks installed?

I'm pretty sure its installed properly. My dad put this computer together himself about a year ago. And there are no other disks installed on it outside of the C Drive.

MattieDaShark83 said:
Go to start>control panel>performance & matience>admin tools>computer managment>storage>Disk Managment Local and see if you have any unallocated space. Its possible you made a partition to install the OS however did not extend the partition or create a new partition to use the remainder of the drive.

I'm assuming you're using Vista for those instructions. I do not have Vista, only XP. Besides, this computer would need a MAJOR overhaul before it could even think about taking on Vista. Anyways, I don't have a Preformance and Matience Icon, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be getting into.

EDIT: MattieDaShark83, I was able to locate what you were asking for. There is a second drive, D Drive, with 1.07 GBs on it. I was not shown that yesterday when I was checking it to make sure it didn't have anything, and it said there was nothing on it. I'll prep a screenshot and post that in about 3 minutes.

In disk management, on disk C, what exactly shows up? Tell us what the partitions and space things are. Also, try this run diskpart and write in the prompt: list disk

Then tell us what it shows.

In disk management, on disk C, what exactly shows up? Tell us what the partitions and space things are.

Check post above. I left a screenshot of it.

Also, try this run diskpart and write in the prompt: list disk. Then tell us what it shows.

Will do, be right back.

EDIT:
Also, try this run diskpart and write in the prompt: list disk

Then tell us what it shows.

Umm....how do i get to this?

EDIT 2:

Got it....

Size: 31 GB
Free: 39 MB

Something isn't adding up there. If its a 200gig drive you should see roughly 140-145 un allocated gigs of space. Do you have Windows Service Pack 2 installed on the computer?

Also is this a new drive. And if so when you formatted it and loaded windows XP did you choose to have a 40gig drive to install your OS?

Something isn't adding up there. If its a 200gig drive you should see roughly 140-145 un allocated gigs of space. Do you have Windows Service Pack 2 installed on the computer?

Also is this a new drive. And if so when you formatted it and loaded windows XP did you choose to have a 40gig drive to install your OS?

If I didn't have it before, I do now. I just got done installing it.

And you're right, something is DEFINITELY not adding up.

I don't know, I've had it for a year, is that still considered as new?

*random alert* I hate database errors on here :mad:

Back
Top Bottom