OEM vs. Retail

Infin1ty1

In Runtime
I just have a quick question. I am looking at building a new computer and of course I need to get a new copy of XP, I am looking and they have the OEM and Retail versions of it. I am just wondering what the difference between the OEM and Retail versions of Windows XP Pro are?

OEM can only be installed on the one computer. However with retail, you can uninstall it, and put it onto another computer if you decide to get a new one.

Alright if that is the only difference then I'm set. I was just worried, because this is my first build so I'm trying to save money, didn't want to take a short cut and get the OEM if it wasn't worth it.

the only thing that sucks is if you want to upgrade you mb like i am you have to get a new os but im going with vista anyway so it is ok

OEM vista is the same as retail vista. Just do a install but don't enter the product key. It will ask you to do a clean install instead of a upgrade. After the install completes just run it on more time basically upgrading vista over vista. Put your product key in this time and install. After everything gets setup just make sure you delete the windows.old file. I've reformatted and activated vista many times using this formula.

The only advantage I can see to retail is they contain both 32/64bit versions.

the only thing that sucks is if you want to upgrade you mb like i am you have to get a new os but im going with vista anyway so it is ok

Eh, all you need to do in that case is when you end up needing to call in the activation, tell MS you had a virus and reinstalled windows. They won't know, and they will just activate it for you. After all, their license can't keep you from upgrading.

The only advantage I can see to retail is they contain both 32/64bit versions.

Only on the ultimate. On the other versions you have to order the 64bit from Microsoft and pay even more money (about $10.00 if I've heard correctly).

well i my bro baught Home Premium Vista and tryed to install it on my carpy computer but my OS has some troubles with SP2 and there is also a fact that Somethings are analog on my OS and Mobo so they not compatable so on my new computer i will install that. And i no 64bit is better but could u put a 32 bit vista on a 64 bit Computer like the processor.(bro got 32bit)

Back
Top Bottom