Just Dual booted problem

how big is your HDD? cause if it is over i think 127GB and you bios dosent have large HDD detection than sometimes GRUB gets installed on the part your bios cant read. had this happen to me simple fix though with a windows cd.

It can't be fixed with an XP disk though as that does not have the required GRUB loader.

My best guess would be to get an ISO of like home premium (what ever bit you have) and see if you can boot off of it to do the repair mentioned in the link I gave you.

It can't be fixed with an XP disk though as that does not have the required GRUB loader.

My best guess would be to get an ISO of like home premium (what ever bit you have) and see if you can boot off of it to do the repair mentioned in the link I gave you.

you shouldnt need GRUB to dual boot 2 windows partitions(spelled it right finally)
i know from having vlite that vista's boot manager is different and is not backwards compatible. in order to get into the older boot menu you must click "previous version of windows" on the vista menu. therefore if the xp boot agent boots first it cannot detect the installation of vista thats why he isnt getting an option. if it boots from the Vista partition i thought it would load up its boot agent. apparently not though

you shouldnt need GRUB to dual boot 2 windows partitions(spelled it right finally)
i know from having vlite that vista's boot manager is different and is not backwards compatible. in order to get into the older boot menu you must click "previous version of windows" on the vista menu. therefore if the xp boot agent boots first it cannot detect the installation of vista thats why he isnt getting an option. if it boots from the Vista partition i thought it would load up its boot agent. apparently not though

Yes, but that only happens when XP is the first OS on the comptuer. Since vista was first on his, things are different. Particularly because Vista uses GRUB to boot.

Yes, but that only happens when XP is the first OS on the comptuer. Since vista was first on his, things are different. Particularly because Vista uses GRUB to boot.

i was unaware that vista used GRUB so i would belive that would work

Re-reading my sources, it might not be GRUB Vista uses, but it defiantly is different than that of XP.

Yeah it was causing too much trouble. I just copped out and re-installed Vista. Thank you for all the help Rudster and celegorm, and rep is coming your way.

If you format the XP partition in the install, then turn the laptop off, it should have only one boot active...I think.

Back
Top Bottom