How to overclock Ram?

Depends, there are two ways really.

First way, involves tightening timings to make the RAM more efficient. The other way involves bumping the RAM Bus speed up. That, however, is the extent of my knowledge on RAM OCing.

rats i was wondering the same thing but if u got to a higher speed isnt that like going up from like 667 ram to 800 ram

It just locks up. I guess you can look and see if you have a memory divider and put the ram to a higher ratio than the FSB. I'm really no good at figuring out ram ratio's. I've had people try and explain it to me but it never makes sense.

Lets take a core2duo for example.

1066FSB quad pumped meaning its divided by 4 which equals the actual frequency at 266mhz then the clock multiplier is 9 thats how you get your 2.4GHz overall clock. Now say you have 800MHz ram. The rams frequency is divided in 2 since its ddr2 so the real number your working with would be half the value or 400Mhz.

Now i'll show you how to figure out a 1:1 ratio because thats the only one I know how to calculate. Okay you have your clock figured out. 2.4ghz/ 9 the multiplier and that gives you your 266. Now take that and times it by 2 and that gives you 532MHz or dividing the ram in half 266 thus the 1:1 ratio. This is the frequency your ram would run at in a perfect 1:1 ratio. Now hopefully someone comes around that can fill us all in on how to calculate ratios like 2:3 4:5 etc I'm thinking a ram ratio higher than the FSB would be like 5:4 meaning the ram is going to be clocked .02% faster than the FSB not completely sure on that just a thought.

The thing that gets me that maybe someone could answer is the following. Sry to Hijack your thread but I am curious about this and its on your topic. They say that ram isn't any better than the FSB because it just bottlenecks itself. My question is are they going by the total FSB say 1066Mhz/800Mhz (ram) If so then that would give your ram leway to 1066Mhz before going any higher would result in a bottleneck. Or is it really the actual FSB before its quad pumped and before the ram is doubled. So say the 266Mhz FSB/ 400MHz ram. Wouldn't that be a bottleneck then?

Ummmmm OK i got all the math stuff but that question i would love to no the answer to. I think it would bottleneck it but anyone else who has OCed ram plz answer

Back
Top Bottom