Laptop HDD Really Slow

PuNkY

In Runtime
I just got my laptop the other day. It came with Vista, and the boot would take almost 10 minutes to get to the desktop. So I current have XP on it, and it still takes about 10 minutes too boot.

I tried clean installs, KillDisk, defrags, and no fix.

Its a 160GB SATA 5200RPM HDD (More specs in sig).

Any idea why this is happening? Or is this normal for laptops? (This is my 1st laptop)

If you just bought it the other day, why are you bothering to mess with it. Take it back to where you bought it and get it replaced.

yeah but 7200RPM is high as they go for lappys thesedays which aint much. i got a 5400RPM drive with my xp on it :eek: scary i know but it takes a long time to boot(like 30 bars going by) but not THAT long

is it sata or ata?

It shouldnt take that long. The one in my sig only takes 30 seconds. If its new then i would just take it back and tell them to sort it, no point in you doing it and invalidating your guarantee in the process.

Don't bother fixing it. Get it replaced, so you won't have warranty issues after. Even the 5400 and lower drives takes less than 30 bars to boot. I had a very old 810MB HDD and worked fine. not big, but fine.

Back
Top Bottom