Free Laptop??

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
I'm getting excited. Today at work we were getting rid of a bunch of old crap that no one has touched in about three years. Well, since they were going to be thrown out, I grabbed three laptop shells to part them and see what I could come up with.

I got myself a nice (assuming it works) socket 478 P4 @ 1.7 GHz, 128 MB PC 2100 and a 20 GB hard drive. No CD drive at all :(

If it works it won't be too bad, just gotta buy more ram and a CD drive and it will be a dencent system. I would fire it up tonight, but there is no thermal paste on the p4 and I don't wanna fry anything. What is nice though, is the case I'm using has a XP Home edition key on it :)

Wow, that is great celegorm. It is perks like that that really lighten up your day.

So are you going to put that all into one case, or separate it?

What about the mobo? Anything interesting?

Yeah, you can say that again. I was expecting maybe a stick of RAM or two but not enough to build a computer with.

I'm putting everything into the case that has the XP key on it since that case is the only one that has a battery and power cord with it.

I don't know much about the mobo right now. I'll figure all that out tomorrow when I turn it on.

celegorm, Where do you work? And why that long, with no use?

Let us know how it's working.

Lucky!!

socket 478 P4 @ 1.7 GHz, 128 MB PC 2100
2100, is that the speed of the ram?

Wow, that is great celegorm. It is perks like that that really lighten up your day.

Agree.

Thelis~ note, your humor remind's me of someone!

XP key on it since that case is the only one that has a battery and power cord with it.

Xp key? Doya mean, So it's legal?

I work at a local computer store (Sorry, but I don't say the name of it here). Why they weren't used I don't know, but right now I'm not complaining.

PC 2100 is kind of RAM. It's speed is somewhere around 267Mhz if I remember correctly. The XP key, is the product key you need to register XP, so yes, it's legal.

wow lol free stuff is always the best , i remember when my cuz gave me this mobo and half the ram in it for free , it also had a 1.7ghz celeron in it but i replaced that with this here 2.8ghz p4

also pc2100 is 266mhz

It works! The hard drive was sys-locked (how you get it from dells and such so you can enter all your own names and all that fun stuff) and ready to be sold to a customer but never was. Upgrading it to SP2 took some time though.

I added another 256 MB of ram since the 128 just wasn't cutting it. On a free system, the $20 I paid for the ram was worth it.

Not to bad for what I payed for :). I'll be using it primarily for a portable Itunes library so I don't need to bring My Ipod (which is worth more :cool:). The only problem is I need to connect it to my network to get more music added to it since it doesn't have a CD drive. Oh well though, I can't complain.

This made my week.

The company my mom is working in always sells older systems. 60$ Canadian per computer!!!!! And I think it was pentium 4, 1gb memory, and probably an average videocard. But $60...now thats cheap. lol.

Back
Top Bottom