Video Card ?'s

ssc456

Fully Optimized
right i have posted about this before trying to learn more about video / graphics cards.

i do have a specific question which is whats the difference between like GT / GS / LE and all them for example whats the diff between 7600GT and 7600GS i notice most of the time the GS are cheaper than the GT's.

also can some1 just try and teach me about graphics cards i feel i know a fair bit bout computers but this is my weak area please help me guys ;)

also how important is memory size to memory speed in graphics cards for example whats better (not sure if these cards exist but...) a 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 or 7600GT 512MB DDR2 ??

help my brain grow ppl

higher megabytes for vid cards means support btr resolution i think.

gddr3 is a newer technology within graphics cards.

LE low end
GS mid-low en
GT mid-high end
GTX high end

DDR3 is the memory speed obiously DDR3 is better. The memory depends on the resolutions you play.

right and whats the difference between say an ASUS 7600GT and a Point Of View 7600GT ?

and anything else you guys know that i dont that you could tell me about

right and whats the difference between say an ASUS 7600GT and a Point Of View 7600GT ?

and anything else you guys know that i dont that you could tell me about

Manufacturer. Same thing basically, but may come with different coolers and different clock speeds.

Dependent upon what the manufacturer puts on the card. They both have a 7600GT GPU, but they may have everything else totally different just because different manufacturers are making them.

There are four main things to look at with graphics cards.

First, the core. For example, the 7600GT uses the G73 core I think. This is just like a CPUs core. (e.g. the E6600 is a Conroe core, and E4400 is an Allendale core) Note that higher does not always mean better.

Next, the core clock speed. The higher, the better. It's just the speed of the core; so obviously a higher speed means faster.

Graphics cards have their own RAM. Generally, you want more if you're playing at higher resolutions such as 1680x1050+. GDDR just stands for Graphics Double Data Rate. It's just RAM. Note that GDDR3 doesn't mean it's using DDR3 like regular memory. It's different - GDDR3 is actually more similar to DDR2.

The RAM clock speed is obviously important then also. Again, the higher the better.

As for the naming systems, it goes like this for nVidia from slowest to fastest:
SE
LE
GS
GT
GTS
GTX

And for ATI:
GT
Pro
XT
XTX

Hey i saw GDDR4 being used on some cards. Is that just overkill,or is it really worth it? It seems like another $200 just for the 3 to become a 4.

Back
Top Bottom