Removing Socket 478 Retaining Pins

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
Hi

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this sorry if its not the right place feel free to move it if necessary.

I've got an E-Machines tower that was used as our family PC but something, somewhere went wrong and it was taken to a local repair shop but they weren't sure of the problem either.

Thats besides the point, now we have a new family PC and i still have the old tower and have bought an Intel Celeron D (which was the same as was in before) off eBay and i had a look at the existing fan/heatsink and got the fan off without any problems but have discovered a strange retaining setup holding down the heatsink (i don't know if this is standard or not). I didn't want to do much to it in case i did break it so i wondered if anyone has some ideas or tips about removing the retaining pin, I've attached some pictures to show it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bryn.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/bryn1066/100_08302.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/bryn1066/100_08362.jpg

simmilar to my ak675 on my socket 478, you pressthe two thmb push things down on top then unclip the metal retaining mechanism and jobs done
not as bad as the one on my dell , goodness knows how you undo it
also did you get some thermal paste for that new cpu

I haven't got any thermal paste yet, but i will as soon as i get a chance. And also is it true that running the PC on for a bit before removing the CPU makes the thermal paste easier to remove?

And i tried to press down on the thumb things and the retainer moved just a bit but not enough to take them off entirely but i might not have been pressing hard enough because i don't want to damage the motherboard so is there any way to know how hard I'd need to press?

Thanks

oh i finally managed to get them off by pressing down and pulling towards me :D and thanks for the advice and no need to worry about getting the thermal compound off since its all stuck to the old CPU thanks again

Back
Top Bottom