Ram

Xx-Legend-xX

In Runtime
My PC

Hello,

As most of you know, I am constructing a computer. Well, I use my computer for some games and homework/surfing the net. I am planning to run vista. My budget is running a bit low right now, so I am gonna try to cut down some ram. So 1GB RAM enough to run vista plus some programs/softwares plus games??? And how many MHz should I get?

Also, I want some comments on what I should cut down to get the price to under $950 canadian.

CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 (2.0GHz) Dual-Core Socket 775 Processor. $168.00

Optical Drive- Asus DRW-1814BLT (Black) 18x SATA DVD±Writer with LightScribe. $49.00

Video Card- Asus EN8600GT Silent/HTDP GeForce 8600GT 256MB PCI-Express. $165.00

Motherboard- P5N-E-SLI. $145

RAM- Trescend 2GB 800MHz. $125

Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB - SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive – OEM. $65.95

Monitor- ACER AL2016WSD 20” Widescreen TFT-LCD. $195.95

Keyboard/Mouse- A normal wired keyboard and mouse set. $20

Computer case- A normal computer case with 450W PSU. $75

Thanks

I save up the money and get that 2nd gig of ram. Vista uses roughly 750-800 megs of ram depending on how many gadgets you have. You'll be much happier with 2 gigs although it should run decent with your current setup. As far as MHz I would say the standard is probally 667MHz maybe 800Mhz. With the drop in prices you may as well get 800MHz. What you need to look at is the ram timings. The lower the latency the faster the ram will be.

Why did you cut down on so many things? Like the CPU, HDD? I mean, I see that you are getting a monitor, but if I was you, I would get the other stuff that I and others recommended, and save up for the monitor and get it later. You can always find a free monitor off the streets or get a cheap one in a pawn shop.

Also, built in PSUs are oftentimes horrible.

And lastly, as Mattie said, get 2 gigs of ram. Trust me, you WILL need it.

2GB RAM is going to be the new minimum soon (well maybe not that soon) but I would definately get it now instead of later.

you could vut a little off the dvd burner , i dont know the conversion from cad to gbp but do you need the litescribe and such i can pick up a dvd burner for about £17 here

a Canadian dollar is worth less than an American dollar so a little over double that. lightscribe is so cool i wouldnt be able to not get if i got a new dvd.

Back
Top Bottom