joystick problems

mammikoura

Golden Master
Microsoft SideWinder Pro
Win Xp
Using the game port on Creative SoundBlaster PCI 128.

Had a lot of trouble trying to get this work when I first got the sound card. However at some point I got it working, can't remember all the stuff I did back then but I'm pretty sure I've tried most of the things I did back then.

Now that I moved my computer and unplugged the joystick I can't get it working anymore.

The sound card and the game port on it seem to be working fine, but the joystick is not. Windows automatically detects the joystick, installs drivers, but then when I go to control panel -> game controllers it says that the joystick is not connected. But it is, and all of the hardware should be working fine since at first it detects the correct joystick and installs drivers. The joystick is missing the power cable, but it shouldn't matter since I have used this joystick for months without the power cable.

Things I've tried.
Set the joystick to analog.
Unplugged it and then plugged it back in.
Restarted computer.
Disabled the joystick from device manager, then enabled it.
Disabled the game port from device manager, then enabled it.
Disabled the sound card from device manager, then enabled it.
Deleted the joystick drivers and let windows detect it again.
System restore to a date when the joystick was still working.
Probably a lot of other things I can't remember.

And last night, it suddenly started working, well at least the light started to blink. (it blinks instead of staying on because there is no power cable) Then I closed the computer because I went to sleep and started up this morning, and guess what. Joystick is not working.

Might be that the joystick is just going to die. Or might be the soundcard, don't know yet.
I'll try reinstalling the sound card drivers now.

So any other suggestions?

Have you got a game port built into your mobo aswell? If you have then try that one.

Have you tried removing and reseating the sound card, its possible that its slightly loose from when you moved the pc.

no, mobo doesn't have a game port.
Also tried to install lates drivers for the sound card, still have the problem.
I'll try reseating the sound card later today.

Thanks

Have you got another computer you can try the joystick in, coz that will rule out a jostick fault.

yeah i got a pair of those things there anicent but work like a charm for me. i dont know why the light blinks i belive it is supposed to stay on. i think they might be dieing

Have you got another computer you can try the joystick in, coz that will rule out a jostick fault.

well yeah, but it doesn't have a game port so I'd still have to use the same sound card. Though I might give it a try when I get enough free time.

and rudster, as I said in my 1st post I assume that the light is blinking because it doesn't get any external power. But it still should work even without the power cable.

Back
Top Bottom