Video Card Questions?

Xiggy

Daemon Poster
ok i have a couple little questions about what some things in video cards do...if anyone has a diagram that would work better but here they are

i was reading reviews on a 8800gts 320mb video card at newegg and a lot of people said if you had the 640mb version you can get higher resolutions easier...so i guess the more you crank up the resolution the more memory you need?

also i know its the same with your graphics options..the more you crank those up the more memory you need

what does the ramdac do?...every time i see that word it always says at 400mhz no more no less..so what does it do for the video card?

is a dvi output better then a vga output?

thanks!

Depends on the resolution you will be playing games the memory. Ramdac im not so sure. DVI is supposed to offer better definition of the screen than VGA, althought it might me hard to notice a difference.

well my screen only supports up to 1280x1024 ne ways. (samsung 17" flat screen) ...which i love that resolution its what i run my desktop at....thats the most i would ever probably run a game at ne ways :)

the 320 mb would do if you have a limit on money

i think the RAMDAC might be the speed at which the integrated codecs run at

With that resolution, you'd only need the 320MB version. The 640MB version is more for resolutions like 1680x1050.

DVI is much better than VGA. There is a noticeable difference. VGA is an analog signal, while DVI is digital. When the signal is created it's digital, and the monitor only displays a digital signal. So it has to convert from analog to digital when using VGA, and that results in a loss of quality.
Basically, everything looks a bit sharper.

RAMDAC isn't really something you have to worry about. Basically, it converts the signal into an analog signal. Look here for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAMDAC

Back
Top Bottom