Fan Hookup Questions

thelethalblow

Baseband Member
Confused on the hookup of fans, trying to figure out what adapters I need. According to the motherboard I plan on getting there are four areas for fan connectors.

1) CPU_FAN (4-pin)
2) SYS_Fan (4-pin)
3) PWR_Fan (3-pin)
4) NB_Fan (3-pin)

Basically I want to connect three fans, 1 cpu and 2 case, but from what I hear this motherboard only supports one case fan/1 cpu fan.

A) First a question about 3 and 4 pin connectors:
According to the manual, "The cooler fan power connector supplies a +12v power voltage via 3pin/4pin (only for cpu/sys_fan) power connector and possesses a foolproof connection design". The connector is 4 pin on the motherboard, so it will be ok to use a 3 pin fan connector?

1- GND
2- +12v/Speed Control
3- Sense
4- Speed Control

B) The NB 3-pin (assuming it means northbridge) has no fan on the motherboard. Could this be used to power another case fan?

1- GND
2- +12V
3- NC

Assuming the 3-pin cable works on the 4 pin layout, I assume all I will need is a 3-pin y cable adapter for the 2 system fans.

A) Yes, just skip the ground pin #1.

B) Not sure, this is probably motherboard specific. You could at least try it.

If you want more fans, you can always hook them up directly to the power supply. You might need a molex (4 pin) adapter though.

The black wire (ground) goes to the 3 pin cables, so it ok to skip that or is it the forth one be skipped?

Back
Top Bottom