Connecting new Notebook to house's DSL Line

zen7000

Beta member
The house I am in already has a DSL connection. How would I go about connecting my new notebook to it?

Right now when I search for networks, I get a few with low signals. Both 'Secured Network' which I can't connect to and 'Unsecured networks' which I can connect to.

The main computer in the house already has a Netgear router next to it. Do I need to buy a router for myself or some kind of adaptor (NIC) card also?

And if so, any reccomendations on brands. Would Netgear Super G be a good option? (it's on sale at Best Buy)

Thanks for any advice or general tips that could help me out.

Is the netgear router wireless? If it's not, it's understandable; Netgear has a lot of wired routers. The best you can do now is plug in the laptop with an ethernet cable, a simmilar set up to your desktop, until you get a wireless router.

Also I forgot to add, Super G routers are good for you, since it looks like you are just doing basic internet with 2 computers. If you plan on having like 10 computers running online games connected to the router, you're going to want something called a "N" router instead of "G."

Back
Top Bottom