slow emachine

speedy05

In Runtime
when i was at my mates house today and i saw his computer is very very slow loading up windows...

as i check for virus and spyware scan and nothing...

been clean up registry, junk files and internet temp...

he has emachine 256mb ram, 60gb hard drive...

intel video card...

why it has been slow loading up windows xp home...

Could be RAM. He could have a lot of crap loading up with windows. Disabling any unnecessary things in MSconfig should help.

If he has a minimal amount of things starting with windows i would start to think about the possibility of a failing hard drive.

The RAM is definitely holding back. I recommend no less than 512MB for basic tasks, if you're going to be gaming then 1GB is the minimum although some people will say 2GB is standard.
I'd go through and delete any unnecessary programs from the computer, then go into MSCONFIG and delete any unwanted startup tasks.

yeah ram'll be holding it back , it prolly has integrated graphics as well so it will ave a large chunk of ram took out , my dell was the same till i got another 256 and made it 512mb not it copes but itll slow down again if i load up loads of stuff like the other day lol i had ie7 , ff 10ish tabs , wmp ,itunes,word 2007 and excell 2007 and audacity and all was slow as hell

That's probably running a 1.6 to 1.86GHz Intel Celeron. The problem is, the computer is just old. Your mate needs a new computer, or at least an upgrade.

yeah ram'll be holding it back , it prolly has integrated graphics as well so it will ave a large chunk of ram took out , my dell was the same till i got another 256 and made it 512mb not it copes but itll slow down again if i load up loads of stuff like the other day lol i had ie7 , ff 10ish tabs , wmp ,itunes,word 2007 and excell 2007 and audacity and all was slow as hell

muz, you are in dire need of some more RAM.

i'd say ram for sure!
how long has it been sense hes done a complete format?
i usually do mine yearly.

but you need ram
and emachines are that great computers anyway

That's probably running a 1.6 to 1.86GHz Intel Celeron. The problem is, the computer is just old. Your mate needs a new computer, or at least an upgrade.

2.66ghz celeron my dad has the same model.

it only has 2 ddr slots so i suggest getting another 256mb stick of ram from kingston. tell him to get 512 if he can afford

muz, you are in dire need of some more RAM.

i dont often have that many tasks open at once , usually just ff wmp and word and it copes fine with that but yeah more ram would be great but the comp is realy my parents so its up to them and as they only have ff open it never slows down so they dont see the need to get more:(

and if it is a 2.66 celeron that is fine but i would get either another 256mb ram stick or a 512mb , the 512 would be better as he would have 768mb ram

Back
Top Bottom