Best overclocking motherboard and ram?

ive seen witht he zalman 7900 and 680i pluse good ram a core 2 duo 6600 4 ghz stable in the antec 900 case
You've seen it with your own eyes?? Really? Professional reviews overclock a bit farther than what the average user will be able to do. They're in an optimal environment, and they know way more about overclocking than you or I.

The P965 will overclock farther than the 680i. Why do you want SLI in the first place? It's actually really pointless in most situations...

You've seen it with your own eyes?? Really? Professional reviews overclock a bit farther than what the average user will be able to do. They're in an optimal environment, and they know way more about overclocking than you or I.

The P965 will overclock farther than the 680i. Why do you want SLI in the first place? It's actually really pointless in most situations...

Well i'm just thinking for the future as far as boards go. SLI isn't a super big deal now but down the road it may pay to have that 2nd card in there. Also how do both of these boards do with vista 64bit? I don't want to have to do any tweaking to get vista to run on them. One other thing are both boards good with the ram I have below?

I have an MSI 650i, and its not great. I got my E6300 to 2.6gz but thats as high as I can get it. And I cant adjust the CPU voltage, Ram voltage, or the South bridge voltage.

The only board I can speak for that is SLI compatible and have seen run Vista 64-bit is the EVGA one. Vista picks up all board drivers for it durring the install process, and you can (and should) get newer updates from their website.

Ya thats one of my concerns. I don't want to have to tweak the system to just get it to run vista. My p5n32 picked vista up without any hitchs and expect the same from the next board I buy. I saw they had a vista p5B-E vista board but it got bad reviews on newegg.

One question with the EVGA board can I do a cpu/memory precision mode or does it just advance the ram as i'm overclocking. I like the cpu/memory mode because if my ram doesn't go any higher I can always set it back and keep moving the FSB up.

Not exactly sure what you mean. If your talking about like the ratio between the CPU and memory then there are a few modes, one of which is totally independent of what the other is doing.

I know of at least three modes. One being independent, 1:1, and it was either 2:3 or 3:2. I think there was a fourth, but I'm too lazy to restart my computer to find out :)

I'm running an Asus Commando at 490 FSB. The only problem is the outrageous vdroop. I might be able to push it farther, but I'm happy at this speed.

Sorry to join the party so late as I have been out and about these past few days.

Anyway, the only motherboard that provides independent FSB and memory overclocking the RD600 which only DFI provides. However, the 680i comes close to independent by using weird dividers such as 9:16. No other chipset will provide unlinked overclocking.

If you are looking for low front side buses and low memory speed, the 975x chipset is for you. It offers the fastest clock for clock speeds if the speeds are low. I recommend the Intel D975XBX2 or the ABIT AW9D-MAX.

High front side buses and memory speeds, choose the P35. The reason being is that P35 walks all over the P965. For this, I would buy the ABIT Quad-GT or the DFI P965-S. For P35 get the ASUS P5K Deluxe.

Best of both worlds, the 680i is for you. You can tweak it to achieve close to 975x speeds while maintaining high bus speeds. For the 680i, I would buy the DFI 680iLT board or the ABIT IN9-MAX. The Striker Extreme is also good.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom