Computer does not post

Hey got a problem. I got my 8800GTS installed finally the other day. I got everything loaded up and went to start benching. I was getting the same error I got with my last card irql less or not equal to. So I googled it and some suggested it may be a memory problem.

So I took out my ram and tried putting it in the other slots. Now the computer does nothing. I tried putting them back in the slots they were in and it does nothing. Before I removed the ram everything worked fine except for the driver error when I was using 3dmark.

So what did I burn up here? Don't have any spare ram to test. Do you think I cooked the ram somehow or did I fry the board? Also if I fried the board would that fry the cpu as well? I'm just curious i'll be taking it to a local computer shop monday to have them diagonise it cause i'm sick of screwing with it.

Just curious what it may be i'm hoping its the ram.

Try one stick at a time, one bad stick in a pair can cause this, try one stick in each slot, repeat for second stick, this will test the ram as well as the slots.

I'm thinking you'll find one of the two sticks is bad.

If you do get it to boot on one stick run memtest or windows memory dianostic on it to make sure it is OK

Nope all I did was pull the ram out and put in the other slots to see if a slot was bad. Then after it didn't post I tried each slot and each stick. I was thinking about reseting the cmos but it shouldn't need reset. I'm rather lost and upset. I just had to try and change the ram now i'm stuck on a old p4 until I get this fixed.

Easiest way in my oppinion is to take out the battery , press the power button a few times (with the power cord unpluged) to discharge everything, let it sit for a minute, plug the battery back in, and turn it on.

If you touched the RAM or mobo without a static wrist band on, you could have killed something. It does that if either the RAM is bad or the mobo is dead.

Alright so I was sitting here thinking about it and decided to give it a try. Wow let me say this was my first time doing this and boy is it fun. So my battery is under my soundcard. I remove the soundcard and the battery falls inbetween the PCI slots. As i'm fishing it skates underneath my video card. Grr had to take of my DVI adapters and take my GPU out. Next getting the flippin cmos pin out it gets behind my usb connectors. So I finally get it and with some effort get it into the reset slot. I count 30 seconds and replaced it on the 1,2 jumper and put the battery back in. Plug my soundcard and video card back in double check the rams fully in place. Checked my rails and all other connections everything is solid. Start it up and nothing.

All the fans turn on Side fan, HD fan, Rear fan, GPU fan so I know there all getting power. Yes I have the 6 pin in the GPU as well. I'm guessing I killed either the ram or my motherboard. And to be honest I hope its the board it sux's.

As for Jesusfrk I don't use a static wristband I just hold on the metal part of the frame to discharge myself.

I don't think I had the ram fully in place the first time I tried booting it back up. It looked like it was in the clip completely but I don't think it was. When I had the GPU and soundcard out i'm sure there in place. God this sux's I know i've got warrantys on all my stuff but I hear Asus RMA service blows.

I'll be sure to fill you guys in as things develop. If anybody has any other suggestions let me know. I'll be taking it in to my local computer shop monday to let them figure out if its the board or the ram.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I actually think this is a good thing because something has been screwed up with this since I built it. I don't know if its a incompatibilty or what but it gamed great until I decided to do a reformat and ever since that its been crashing when I play a game or try and bench.

On a plus note I did get to see the first run on 3dmark before it crashed and let me say wow the 8800gts pw3ns.

Back
Top Bottom