Computer randomly turns off

buick_gn1987

Solid State Member
ok so i think i have a problem with my power supply. Everyonce and awhile my computer will turn off after like a minute i have it on and then after it turns off i try to turn it back on and it goes on for about one second and then it turns off. My power supply is only like 350 watts and i think its goin out, cause i have alot of fans and lights on my computer so that could be the problem i just wanted to know what u guys think it could be

Well, what are your other specs? I mean, a 350 watts PSU is not that good, but for some computers it should hold up.

It can also be a number of other things, like a bad mobo, or bad RAM. Have you tried putting the PSU into another computer and seeing of that works?

fan and lights dont eat up more than 25 watts in the most EXTREME case. i doubt it would be cpu temps because 1 min. after boot and not putting it under load is pretty bad. and did this problem always exist and just keep getting worse and worse?

we should be able to tell if you tell us the full specs of your computer

umm it could be your power supply being faulty but i doubt a lack of power unless u have recently added something ?

or have u had his prob the whole time u have had the pc ?

try establish if its software or hardware go into your bios and sit in there for 10 mins or so and if it turns off then its def hardware if it doesnt then its more than likely software

also if ur on XP click start right click my computer and click properties

click advanced then click startup and recovery and under the system failure untick auto restart

and then when it happens again u shud get a blue screen try n copy everything down from the blue screen and post it here to give us smoe more info

Here are the specs
AMD 64 2.4g Atholon 4000+
2 gb ram
Nvidia GeForce 7300
160 gb hardrive
Foxconn mobo
writemaster dvd burner, cd burner, w/ litescribe
OS Vista Home Premium

the tep it turns off at is around 110F

Ive seen PSU problems like this in the past. It would be the first thing i would be looking at. Have you got a spare you can use to test it.

you could do with a 400 or 450 Watt PSU but unless you have added something recently then it should not be the problem

you could do with a 400 or 450 Watt PSU but unless you have added something recently then it should not be the problem
The PSU might be dying though.

Test it if you have the proper tools, or try a different one if you've got an extra around.

fan and lights dont eat up more than 25 watts in the most EXTREME case. i doubt it would be cpu temps because 1 min. after boot and not putting it under load is pretty bad. and did this problem always exist and just keep getting worse and worse?

we should be able to tell if you tell us the full specs of your computer

actually, with intel's heatsinks on the single core extremes, they would overheat very quickly when in a poor ventilation case, or combined with other high-end parts. Mine overheated in about 47 seconds, right after the IDE scan. Overheating is quite possible. Even though I'm a newby, I have experience with frying comp parts xD.

I'd suggest cleaning out the dust inside your comp first, before you buy a new powersupply to ruel out the heat issue.

Back
Top Bottom