6 Months and still I can't fix it, Songs Skip

SilentButDeadly

Beta member
Here is the deal my brother just gave me his old intel D Dell computer as a back up I believe it is a Dell Dimension 1100, but I could be wrong (he changed cases). It already had an 80 gig Hd in there that has all the windows files on it. Well I took my other 80 gig drive full of music and put it in there because I plan on using this PC for storage. So today I go to play some music and for some reason the songs are kind of skipping. Every few seconds you hear it studder and it is getting really annoying now.

I ran Hitachi Check software to see if for some reason the drive was corrupted but it came back as OK. Here is what I have done already

Hitachi Fitness test

A few different Media Players

Closed everything running in the background

Defragged

Tried 3 different sets of speakers

Updated XP

Changed the PSU figuring maybe the HD's were under powered

Tried 2 Sound cards one was a Creative and the other was Chaintech

Seperated all the Music on their own drives, the OS has its own HD and
and the programs are on a seperate

I cant count how many different Media Players I installed and worked with

changed electrical outlets and Surge Protectors

Put an electrical filters on the wires

Updated all firmware and drivers

Ended up formatting ALL my drivers and reinstalling windows

Changed audio acceleration settings

Shut off all Windows theme's

disabled onboard sound

every single codec got checked for updates

3 difference AV's ran

Bought all new fans, Including a Zalaman CPU Fan and Heat Sink (figured Maybe the CPU was over heating

Changed Mobo's

None of the above fixed the issue, so I really dont have a clue what else I can try, any ideas?

Oh here is what makes up the PC

NEC DVD Burner
NEC DVD Drive
E210882 Motherboard
2 Hitachi 80G HD's
Intel Pentium D 2.54 Processor
250 Watt OEM Dell Power Supply
512MB Ram
Onboard Audio and Video

Ok I took my digital camera and recorder what it sounds like. You hear the skipping sound very well, now when you hear it skipping all I'm doing is moving my mouse and opening up a different folder. The only programs open are Evil Player and FireFox NOTHING else. So I hope this helps.

Here ya go................and the Beatles happen to be my favorite band so HUSH UP all you haters :D (jp).

first thing to try just to see if hardrive speed is the porblem u sya the osngs u r trying to play r not on your local disk c drive / windows drive/ try copying 1song to ur c drive and playng it from there.

i had 2 IDE hardrives connected in my old pc i could transfer a movie in like 3 seconds and my mate had slightly better specs than me but 2 IDE hardrives and his took nearly 12 mins to copy a film ??

and i dont know y but if you copy the music file to your c drive and play it from there c wot happens

I just tried copied 2 songs from my G drive to my local C: Drive, it only about 10 seconds to transfer the songs and I'm still getting the same skipping

Ok, good book.

Now, if I understand the plotline correctly, you put an HD that was in another computer in a different computer with a different mobo?

If that is the case, then I don't think that it will ever function well. I have tried numerous times to switch HDDs from one mobo to another, and none of them worked perfectly.

... Oh and it's a Dell, what do you expect?

Ok, good book.

Now, if I understand the plotline correctly, you put an HD that was in another computer in a different computer with a different mobo?

If that is the case, then I don't think that it will ever function well. I have tried numerous times to switch HDDs from one mobo to another, and none of them worked perfectly.

... Oh and it's a Dell, what do you expect?

Both HD's have been formatted before going into the PC so there was nothing on them at all. I reinstalled windows and all the drivers on a fresh install. I know I would NEVER buy a Dell

You have to burn it. And then burn the ashes. Then, you take the ashes and spread them over a good computer and chant the following:

"DUM DUM DUM
LET THIS COMPUTER
NEVER BECOME A DELL
DUM DUM DUM
UBUNTU"

It's the 512 megs of ram. It's not enough. Check what is running in the background such as antivirus and firewall. Anything you have running at the same time is using up ram. Either shut off what you don't need or get some more ram. The price of ram chips is currently at a low point so you should be able to get a good deal on a 512 meg ram stick.

As for you Thelis, you have been making some rather useless commentary in a lot of threads lately. If you have nothing useful to say then say nothing.

That and you also only have 250W of power supply. That shouldn't be affecting your listening to the songs, but you might want to upgrade that.

As for the ram, 512 is perfectly enough to run iTunes perfectly, however setishock is right. You might want to check out the other processes that are running through Task Manager. Check under CPU usage as well as Memory Usage, you might have something hogging a lot of RAM.

Where do you get your music from Limewire?
Maybe you should buy the music instead of downloading it you never know what your going to get from limewire when you download music
Do you have good speakers? Are all cables connected inside the comp?

maybe try it in safe mode ?

also check device manager see if you have n e thing with a Yellow ! over it possible IDE controller Audio Controller

something like that

Back
Top Bottom