Surveillance software

it depends. do they know how to run a spyware scan? because if they do, then they will catch it because any spying software will come up as spyware. but if they don't chances are that they wouldn't know how to clear the history of the cookies on their computer, and you could just look through those. But if they do, you would want something that you connect inline with the keyboard connection, that will store all keystrokes, and you hit a specific combination to recall them

Why do you want to spy on your teenage son/daughter.

To make sure they are not going to sites that they are not supposed to.

But back on topic, if you have an anti-virus that runs activly 24-7 (like NOD32) as well as a good anti-spyware (like Ad-aware SE) they should pick up any keylogger that is installed on your computer, as they carry the sings of a spyware/virus program.

Celegorm, what gives a parent the to spy on their children's web activity? As long as what they are doing isn't illegal or harmful to anyone, they should be allowed to visit the sites they want.

My parents NEVER monitored my stuff, and even if I did catch a bunch of viruses, I just repaired the computer or made a new one and everyone was happy.

I mean, sure parents have the right to care for their children in whatever way they want, but monitoring the internet activity is a clear breach of the freedom of choice and freedom of speech right that the children have.

This is how I think it should be done: Children that are 13 or above should have the right to do whatever they want, as long as they can stand the consequences of their actions.

Just my two cents.

Parents can if one of two (or both) conditions are met.

1) being the child does not pay for the internet bill. If the child does help pay for the bill (even if it is something as small as a buck) this can be over-looked as the child does pay for his use and can use it how he wants.

2) The child does not own the comptuer, aka Parents bought it, and it wasn't a true gift (like a birthday present) to the child.

If either of those are true, it basically becomes kind of like a work place where the boss can moniter your every action if they want.

However, if none are true then I fully agree they have no right to spy on their activity.

[Edit] please keep in mind, that I am 17 and in no ways an adult. I'm just thinking like a parent here.

Yea, I am in no way an adult myself, but I also agree with you.

I do not believe that a person should use somebody else's computer. IMO, if a person needs to use a computer, it should be his own. If that person cannot pay, then he can borrow, etc...

I also agree that if the parents are paying for it, they have a right to see what is happening.

However, the kid needs to know that his activity is being monitored. If he doesn't know, then it is a gross invasion of privacy.

it depends. do they know how to run a spyware scan? because if they do, then they will catch it because any spying software will come up as spyware. but if they don't chances are that they wouldn't know how to clear the history of the cookies on their computer, and you could just look through those. But if they do, you would want something that you connect inline with the keyboard connection, that will store all keystrokes, and you hit a specific combination to recall them

Will a spyware scan be able to remove the above kind of spector software?

ok ok back on subject you said your company is not big enough to have an I.T department IMO comapnies should not issue staff with computers without having some kind of dedicated team / person to look after them even if it as an external company that you call in once a week

and do you own / run the company ? if not then once again its not really your fault if customer info gets stolen was you told if u ever leave your comuter to lock it ?

these are basic things that people should be told before being allowed to use a company computer for safety reasons even if it is really stupid stuff like never give out your password there should always be a brief before being allowed on a company pc so:

if u are an employee who did not recieve a 'computer policy brief' then you are not responsible.

if your are the owner / manager of the company and did not enforce this on your employees or do this basic stuff yourself then it was quiet foolish.

if you are an employee who recieved a 'compuer policy brief' and you did not obay this then that was kinda foolish again..

sorry but again i dont see y u think some1 has a keylogger on your pc ?

ok ok back on subject you said your company is not big enough to have an I.T department IMO comapnies should not issue staff with computers without having some kind of dedicated team / person to look after them even if it as an external company that you call in once a week

and do you own / run the company ? if not then once again its not really your fault if customer info gets stolen was you told if u ever leave your comuter to lock it ?

these are basic things that people should be told before being allowed to use a company computer for safety reasons even if it is really stupid stuff like never give out your password there should always be a brief before being allowed on a company pc so:

if u are an employee who did not recieve a 'computer policy brief' then you are not responsible.

if your are the owner / manager of the company and did not enforce this on your employees or do this basic stuff yourself then it was quiet foolish.

if you are an employee who recieved a 'compuer policy brief' and you did not obay this then that was kinda foolish again..

sorry but again i dont see y u think some1 has a keylogger on your pc ?

I'm not the owner/manager of the company.
The question was more out of curiosity than anything.
Software from the company "spectorsoft" as an example will obviously run without anybody's knowledge. I'm sure that would be much easier to install and sneak onto someone's computer without someone's knowledge.
Would a spyware sweeper program or even Nod32 both detect and remove software like spectorsoft makes? That software is not necessarily a key logger. It could also be just an imaging/tracking software.

To me, it's not so much about who's responsible. But it's kind of a conscience kind of thing. I dont think anybody will fault me for trying to be extra careful.

Back
Top Bottom