Dell Dimension 4700-No VGA output

Speedydowt

In Runtime
Hey guys,

Currently have a Dell Dimension 4700 fixing it for a friend, and there is no VGA output (i.e screen goes idle even with PC turned on).

The Dell dimension has onboard graphics- but i have done the usual testing to no avail, theese are the things i've done so far:

1) Check connections , IDE, power, SATA ect
2) Tried two different GPU's- PCI-E and PCI respectivly.
3) Reset CMOS, removed CMOS battery- (although at the time i wasn't entirly sure of a Dell Specific CMOS reset- so i am wondering wether i have corrupt the bios and hence the reason why screen won't show).
4) Tried different HDD's.

Only things i am yet to try is:
1) Replacing the CPU- because i have no S775 CPU's in my procession at this time.
2) Using a Recovery BIOS to recover the BIOS

Does anyone else have any suggestions or anything i am obviously missing here?

Many thanks for your time

Any beep codes??
Tried different VGA cables and tried tightening the cable? Tried a different monitor?

If not, then it sounds like a motherboard problem...usually you'll at least get some sort of display or beep code feedback.

Freestyler,

Sorry forgot to mention:

Tried it on different monitors with different VGA cables

Nope no Pre-POST BIOS beeps...which leads me to excatly what you were thinking, Motherboard problem.

Could this motherboard problem be a currupt BIOS...even though not hearing any beeps at all..

Again thanks for you help :)

Well, it is a DELL, so its highly possible that its a corrupt BIOS. Why exactly did the computer die again?

Many thanks for you replies guys,

Yes i have tried a new video card- infact as mentioned in my previous post I have tested both PCI-E and PCI video cards.

The PC died after i reset the CMOS- which leads me to believe it is a Currupt BIOS however CMOS was reset in the correct way. Also friend was complaining of BSOD's on a clean windows install before hand which broadens the possibilties.

Think my friend is just going to have to take the dive and buy a new LGA775 motherboard. Anyone know if DELL supplied parts will work with a branded motherbaord? (im sure they will, just wouln't like to get it wrong :))

Many thanks for your time,

Back
Top Bottom