Vista 64 bit faster than XP 32 bit?

Toby1

Daemon Poster
Okay so I had Vista Home Premium x64 on my laptop and switched back to XP because of compatability issues with programs and games. It just seems to me that XP is slower than Vista. It takes about 5 or 6 cycles of the loading bar to get into Windows on Vista and about 10 - 12 on XP. Seems a bit strange to me. I could of sworn XP never used to be that slow... and everything is set up exactly the same as it used to be.

Just wondering what you guys think?

I haven't tried 64-bit but I'm running 32-bit vista and it boots up and runs faster than XP 32-bit. It seems odd to me considering vista is supposed to be more RAM hungry.

If only Vista would let me install the usual programs I use... Plus I can't get my printer or webcam to work on it.

Still... For some reason I thought XP only used to take 4-6 loading bars to get into Windows on my laptop. Must of been trippin' lol.

Is it a clean install? It takes a few cycles for XP to reach optimum boot times.

Yeah it was a fresh install... Reformated with my OEM disc. That took about 1 or 2 cycles. Then after I installed the drivers about 6 to 8 and now with all my programs and updates 10 -14... I just can't help but thinking it never used to take this long. Even with everything installed.

Well, my laptop is set up like this... One Hard Drive split into eight partitions.

mycomputerdz3.jpg

I've defragged with Diskeeper and then Tuneup Registry Defrag... Done a Spyware scan with Spy Sweeper... Ran Window Washer to get rid of any junk files. And doing a scan with Nod32 atm... All did their job properly and/or came up clean.

I'm off to bed now anyway, it's 2:30am here. Night people.

XP will do a disk layout optimization every 3 days by default, which will increase boot time. You can force it to do it tho by going to run and typing rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks, try that and see if it helps. Its case sensitive so copy/paste mine.:)

Back
Top Bottom