Build for parents...

iceshooter161

In Runtime
Ok I have been trying to convince my parents for the past couple years that their old 9yr old compaq desktop is extremely outdated and needs to be replaced. For all this time they have been sticking strong and refusing, but now they suddenly have a change of heart. We were able to get ahold of a Dell Dimension 2350 desktop (i know still very old). Right now it has 256MB of pc2100 memory, no hard-drive, working cd-rw and floppy drives, not sure on how powerful the psu is, and not sure on the processor since I dont want to take it out and can't check in windows since I have no hard-drive. General specs about the computer model can be found herehttp://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/specs.htm#1101572

Well here is the deal. I priced out a new hard-drive and memory for the Dell on newegg and the total for the two would be roughly $100 usd.

Hard-Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145126
Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141218

I know that even with the upgrades the computer is still very outdated so my parents said that I can build them a new one with better technology (which they would actually prefer) as long as the price is at absolute max $400. not much I know but the computer doesn't have to be top of the line and will only be used for basic processing and connection to a virtual server at my moms work. My dad also likes to upload all of his pictures from his digital camera and do basic editing on them (rotating, fixing redeye, etc...). No gaming will be done on this computer so the graphics doesn't have to be great either.

Could you guys help me price out a system which I could propose to my parents? or do you think it would just be better to upgrade the dell? There is an old 17" lcd, keyboard, and ball mouse that came with the computer so I guess they could be used to save money, but if atleast the monitor could be upgraded to something a little better while still keeping the cost down that would be great. Any help with all of this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

hm. the 17 inch LCD will do fine for basic computing, i was wondering if you have an os disk and key on hand, or if you know where to get an OS, it would help with the price. im pretty sure you already know this, but if u didnt OS is windows XP et cetera.

If I were you Id get a 3600+ x2 CPU, A gig of DDR2800, pick out a motherbaord, harddrive, CD Drive, any case, PSU and im sure your parents can use onbaord graphics.

If youd like me to find exact parts for ya let me know, BTW this can be had for pretty cheap derf in your 400$ budget.

i know exactly how to convince your parents. gimme a sec, im working out a parts list.

Yeah I can get windows xp pro with a key so that is no problem. A list of specific parts would be great! thanks!!

you could even use the dell case if you wanna save more money .and the mounts are atx standard

personally being me i would just upgrade the dell as by the sounds of it it would be something along the lines of p4 1.8ghz so that would be ample enough for parents use , in our house we have a dell dimension 2.53ghz celeron , 512mb ram and an 80gb hd which my parents and my sister mainly use for internet , word processing , listening to tunes and it suits them perfectly so its your choice i mean look at my rig in my sig it aint exactly a super powered gaming system but then again i dont game so it suits its needs and i am [planning on making it last 18-24 months before i get a whole new system

i ould go with that kind of build x2 with 1gb ram would do them great otherwise , it would also prolly last a while seeing as they arent as demending as gamers

ya know, i had the exact same dell. it had a celeron 1.8ghz. its crap. this computer will be more than 10 times better.

Mobo - $80
CPU - $60
RAM - $60
GPU - $60
HD - $80
DVD drive - $40
Case - $45

not sure if the case includes a PSU, but heres a good one anyhow.
PSU - $40

OK, heres how you convince them. This is a great motherboard, very upgradeable, will suit them for 10 years because of all the space available for upgrades. it has a dual core processor, which is more than twice as fast as the dell. it has 2 GB of ram, 8 times as much as that dell had. it has a 320GB HD, which can hold hundreds of thousands (literally) of dads pictures. it has a DVD burner, so dad can burn his pics onto discs. that should have them thankful enough that you built a new comp rather than taking in that crap dell. i got a mobo without onboard, and put in an x550. i think your parents might like it :p get them into gaming. i find adults love the game "the sims". i got my girlfriends mom addicted to it. lol. this thing will run mostly any game smoothly. i put in a plainish case, since the parents dont really care for side windows and blue LED lights.

its a lil over 400, it could be way less if you got an mATX mobo with onboard video, and put it in the dell case with teh dell PSU. for example, the mobo posted by "DrainYou" would fit into the dell and it has onboard video, so you wouldnt have to get the X550. that would make the computer under $300!

ugh that sounded confusing. get the parts that i posted, minus the mobo, case, psu, and gpu. then add the mobo that drain you posted and put it all into your dell case.

Back
Top Bottom