pentium 4 dual core vs core 2 duo processors?

supercoop

Solid State Member
what is the main differences between pentium 4 dual core and core 2 duo processors? are the core 2 duo's alot faster? for example, you can get a pentium 4 dual core 3.2ghz so that would make it 6.4ghz. However you can get a E6600 core 2 duo processor which is 2x 2.4ghz = 4.8ghz. But why isn't the pentium faster? please can someone explain this please. I am building another computer for myself and not wanting to spend much. Dual core pentium 4's seem alot cheaper than core duo so would it be worth my getting one of those?

thanks.

umm a few things to point out

thats completely not how you would work out the clock speed

pentium D's are good cheap processors

Core2Duo's are alot better and if you have the extra cash i would get a C2D

although i have a Pentium D 815 with 2 GB RAM and it runs like a dream so if you have the extra you might aswell get a C2D but if you only need a basic computer the Pentium D should be fine

All depends on your budget. If you want a good processor, that will last you two years and has a lot of upgrading potential, you should go with the core 2 duo. They are much more oveclockable, and will be around for a long time.

Pentium D's and Pentium 4's are good, but completely subpar to the C2D.

Also, what is your budget and what will you use this computer for?

...... I am building another computer for myself and not wanting to spend much. Dual core pentium 4's seem alot cheaper than core duo so would it be worth my getting one of those?

thanks.
I would suggest you don't buy a cpu until after the July 27 price drops, you'll be able to get a Q6600 pretty cheaply after that date.

i beleive dual core is sorta hyper-threaded, core 2 duo means it has core x 2

Pentium 4 Dual Core does not exist. It's a Pentium D.

Dual Core is Dual core. It's got two cores in one die. Pentium D and Core 2 Duo have both two cores, but the C2D has a faster FSB, more cache and has better clocks per cycles than a Pentium D. The Pentium D is VERY good.

Because they are morons? I don't know but that is a prime example of false advertisement.

Back
Top Bottom