Have i been screwed over here..

SirChick

Solid State Member
I just bought a Quad Core CPU with 4 gig ram and 312mb GFX Card and 1 terabyte hard drive..

yet to my surprise ... the DXDiag shows 900 gig hard drive and 3.25gig ram :S

Have they pulled a fast one on me here or am i misinformed on what the computer shows me ?

I just bought a Quad Core CPU with 4 gig ram and 312mb GFX Card and 1 terabyte hard drive..

yet to my surprise ... the DXDiag shows 900 gig hard drive and 3.25gig ram :S

Have they pulled a fast one on me here or am i misinformed on what the computer shows me ?

Uumm; you might of had one pulled on you.. or..

The 900GB HDD, it might be the system where 1000MB is one GB, not 1024MB, so if it was the 1000MB per 1GB, it would show as 900GB ish..

And the 3.25GB RAM.. do you have an integrated vid card? Because if you have.. it's that that is using that extra RAM.

You could open your case and check the RAM, see what dimm size they are..

^^ that shouldn't cause him to lose 100gb. He should still get somewhere around 970GB. Though still it's the only reason I can think of. It's also possible that there is a recovery partition on the hdd, which would have the rest of the missing space.

Uumm; you might of had one pulled on you.. or..

The 900GB HDD, it might be the system where 1000MB is one GB, not 1024MB, so if it was the 1000MB per 1GB, it would show as 900GB ish..

And the 3.25GB RAM.. do you have an integrated vid card? Because if you have.. it's that that is using that extra RAM.

You could open your case and check the RAM, see what dimm size they are..

Well i used the program steff gave me and it does seem to be that the 1000 = 1 gig on this system! And i have 4029 gig RAM. And the GFX is 320 Meg so im going to assume that it explains 320 of my meg but im missing 750 meg...so i dont know where the other 400 meg has gone :S I have put my own Audio card but would that take up 400 meg
?

Just to add the backup tool says on here it needs 300 meg. But i do not know where to check if its turned on. The control panel on Vista has changed some of the icon names so i cant find it :p

First off you lose HD space after a format. My 320GB WD went to 302GB after format and my 400GB seagate went to 372 after format.

2nd part you say you are showing 3.25gb ram. What OS are you using. If vista 3.25gb is what you have free as the OS takes around 750-800 megs to run.

XP 32bit can't reconize 4 full gigs of ram.

What mattie said is partially correct. What was missed was that no 32-bit OS can address all 4GB of memory. And if you do a rough estimation, you loose 3% of the rated capacity of your hard drive. Now calculate any other space allocated for other things and you've got your 900GB. Its nothing you should worry about.

What mattie said is partially correct. What was missed was that no 32-bit OS can address all 4GB of memory. And if you do a rough estimation, you loose 3% of the rated capacity of your hard drive. Now calculate any other space allocated for other things and you've got your 900GB. Its nothing you should worry about.
Vista is actually 64 bit. I beleive it can handle up to 16 gigs?

Vista is actually 64 bit. I beleive it can handle up to 16 gigs?

All versions of vista have 32-bit varriants.

From what I have seen though, while 32-bit OS's can only "see" 3.25GB of RAM, they usually can utilize all four gigs.

Yeah, any 32bit OS can only support 3.25 as far as I know. But 64-bit can support like 128gb I think.

Back
Top Bottom