Unable to Connect to Another XP Computer

cnbhold

Solid State Member
I'm unable to connect to another XP Computer on my home network using \\computername. On the PC that will not allow the connection, I'm currently logged in with an account that is password protected and is an Admin. I reran the Network Setup Wizard and also repaired the Network Connection. Here's the error message I receive on the PC that is trying to connect: Windows cannot find “\\xp'. Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search. However, I can PING the computer called XP but can't connect to it. The XP PC can connect to other computers on the network but will not let other connect to it. Dose anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Have you got a password protected account on both pcs? Have you tried disabling the firewall, are both pcs on the same domain?

Both PC's have a password protected account. My work laptop (XP Pro) is unable to connect to my desktop (XP Pro). However, the Desktop PC can connect to the work laptop without any problems. I've tried turning off the firewall on the Desktop PC and the Laptop is still unable to connect.

Have you tried logging into both computers with the same username and password?

In the past, I've been able to connect the Laptop to my Desktop computer without removing the Laptop from the Domain. So I'm not sure what setting is incorrect on the Desktop thats not allowing the laptop to connect. The Desktop PC can connect to the Laptop and has access the the shared folders and both PC's are not in the same workgroup.

The laptop can not find the desktop computer on the network when typing \\xp. I get the following error message: Windows cannot find “\\xp'. Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search.

can you not access it through explorer by going to my network places in the left pane??

My Desktop computer is not listed under My Network Places nor is it listed when I try searching the Entire Network

Are they both a member of the same workgroup, have they both got a different computer name? Have you tried rebooting them both and checking again?

My desktop computer is in a workgroup and my laptop is joined to a domain at work. However, my desktop computer can connect to the laptop once I provide the username (domain\username) and password. I just can't get the laptop to connect to the desktop computer. I've tried connecting to the desktop using the IP Address and still can't connect. I've also disabled the Windows Firewall.

Back
Top Bottom