Lost/Never got Windows XP cd-key

misterspigot

Baseband Member
So, I cleared the hd on one of my pcs that has been recently replaced. Now that that's done I need to put Windows back onto the pc. When trying to do this I realized that I don't have an important thing: the verification code/cd-key. Before I get flamed, yes I know now that I could have gotten it off of the pc BEFORE clearing the hd and no, I didn't set a restore point. Don't flame me cause I've done enough of that to myself and at this point it's irrelevant. I am missing the cd-key. It's not on the pc anywhere (physically) and it's not on the cd case. I'm not sure whether we ever actually had a hard copy or not. So my question is: Do I have any other options besides dropping 200 bucks on a new copy of xp? (don't say Vista, it's not an option) This computer will be used mainly in gaming and I want xp for that. I was thinking that maybe Microsoft would have a copy of my cd-key since you have to register xp? If anyone knows anything please help me!!! I really can't spend $200 right now but I'm afraid I might have to. Thanks!

Yeah, call them and tell them that you reformatted your HD and lost the key. They will probably give it to you. They did it for me when I made that mistake.

Then I got Vista.

Yeah, call them and tell them that you reformatted your HD and lost the key. They will probably give it to you. They did it for me when I made that mistake.

Then I got Vista.

Thanks, but one more question: which number do I call? There's alot on the site. Thanks again!

What I did was this:
Telephone: (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676)
and then they forwarded me to the right department.

What I did was this:
Telephone: (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676)
and then they forwarded me to the right department.

Alright, thanks again I'll try that.

Update: I just called and was told via recording that since my software was preinstalled I have to call the manufacturer. I had my computer built for me from a local shop so it's nothing like Dell or Gateway. I dialed for Technical support for XP so I don't know if that's right or not. There was something about pre-sale liscensing(sp?) but I don't know what to do.

Good luck with that, theres no guarantee that they will give you a key, but you may get lucky like thelis.:)

Oh, if it was pre-installed then I am afraid you will have to buy another disk. There might be some other solutions. I'll PM you.

Give the computer shop that built it a call. They should be able to supply you with the key.
Precisely, and while you're at it tell them you also want your XP cd, it is illegal to sell preinstalled Windows and not provide an XP cd or restore disk (unless it's one of the brand names with a recovery partition that allows you to make a restore cd)

Precisely, and while you're at it tell them you also want your XP cd, it is illegal to sell preinstalled Windows and not provide an XP cd or restore disk (unless it's one of the brand names with a recovery partition that allows you to make a restore cd)

I have the cd just not the key

Back
Top Bottom