Help me w/ a decision

I do not plan on vista anytime in the next 5 years lol and no the 8800 is not an option its too much, and i would like to be ready for the release of cod4, but i do not know if it is dx10 or what? Is dx 10 available for xp?

Without Vista, you won't get Direct X 10 anyway, if you have the graphics card that supports it or not.

SLI though is still an iffy thing for me to consider. Its true, more games are becoming able to run very efficently with new drivers, and new games of course, are capable, yet, its still hard to tell in a lot of cases, if you are getting the performance you are asking for from buying 2 identical cards.

It is not double the speed with 2 cards, which you might think would happen naturally.

There is something inside of me saying to go for SLI, but another part of me is saying, yeah but buy a 8600 now, and you can upgrade with another 8600 when you upgrade to Vista later on, as you'll probably have more cash then.

Though, on the other hand, in the time you take to get Vista, you may want to upgrade your card further since better cards will indeed be out then, and the 8800, etc would have dropped, and would become affordable, and you'd be stuck with having to replace the 8600.

So in light of that, I'd say go SLI with the 7600, since like Celegorm says, you won't be getting much of a perfomance boost without Direct X 10 :)

Games for a long time will support both, no worries.

^^Isn't that basically what he said?

From how I understand it he is saying even if you put a DX 10 card on XP, you won't get DX 10. He needs vista to completely utilize it.

Alright guys thats for the tips, and about windows xp now being dx 10 i ran into this article a group called is developing a way to bring dx 10 to windows xp

full article
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ms-to-bring-dx10-gaming-to-xp-linux-os-x.html

maybe / hopefully it will be accomplished

Hmm... interesting, considering Microsoft probably made Vista only support it, to make more people buy the OS. Not because Windows XP isn't capable of supporting the code...

Yep, thats what I meant :p

From what I understand, it would be a simple change in the code for Microsoft to allow DX10 to be installed on XP.

Back
Top Bottom