major computer upgrade..problems loading.

chicksiedoo

Beta member
So this is what I had...dell dimension 4500, 2 ghz cpu. So I got tired of it taking 20 seconds to even recognize that I had clicked something. So I bought a new cpu, new ram, new case, and new motherboard. CPU is pentium d 940, 3.2 ghz. ram is 1 gb pc4200 ddr2 by rendition, case is Power Up Black Corporate ATX Case w/450w PSU, and motherboard is biostar P4M800 Pro M7 Socket 775. Got these all from tigerdirect.

SO this is what I did...I put that all together. Then I took out of my old computer, my video card, DVD-RW drive, and Hard drive. I booted it up then it went to this screen that said cpu has been changed please renter cpu settings. and floppy disk fail(i didnt put the floppy disk in the new one. so i assume thats why it said fail). then it says press these buttons to do these actions. So I press f1 to continue and it takes me to the hardware monitor screen where it gives me this info...

CPU Temp: 82 degrees celcius(too high last i checked)
System fan speed = 0 rpm (0 rpm doesnt look too good, is that bad? even though the fans in there are all running)
+3.3 v = 3.32v
+12 v = 11.77v
cpu fan speed = 2250 rpm
cpu vcore = 1.20v
+5(v) = 5.18v

So thats the info it gives me, then it doesn't go anywhere after that. I have to turn off the computer after that. SO I'm guessing my CPU is overheating because a fan is not doing too great in there. but the thing im worried about is what to do to fix the cpu problems(the changing the cpu info). I put in the OS disk to reformat the hard drive and it wouldnt even spin up. So what do you suggest i do? other than buy a better fan?

Did you put a CPU heatsink and fan on?? Looks something like this:
EEP-N41SS-01_big.jpg

according to Your CPU temp., did You put enough thermal paste onto Your CPU ? too much or too little and it won't work properly. (temp. ect..)

according to Your CPU temp., did You put enough thermal paste onto Your CPU ? too much or too little and it won't work properly. (temp. ect..)

it was a brand new prcoessor and fan. it was already on there so i figured it was the right amount. if i need to put more on, i can. do i need to?

SYSTEM FAN SPEED:

Thats if you have a system fan installed, i.e one plugged into the motherboard to measure RPM/temp. You probably do have system fans, but they are probably recieving power from the Power Supply, and not from the motherboard, so no readings will arise.
It has nothing to do with your CPU fan speed, which says is running at 2500 (standard)

COMPATABILITY:

Before going any further, were you sure to check the compatability of the CPU and RAM on the motherboard?

ARE YOU RUNNING WINDOWS XP?:

If so, it may be a case of having to format the drive so Windows recognises the new components (you will lose everything on the drive). Windows XP doesn't like large changes to be made, and so may not boot.

The CD may not be booting up due to the fact it isn't set to boot before the hard drive.

DO THIS TO CHECK BOOT PRIORITY:

Press DEL at bootup to enter the BIOS settings,

In one of the menus (not sure which I'm afraid), you'll find boot priority settings, like this:

Primary: Floppy
Secondary: Hard drive
Third: CD Rom,

What you need to do, is set the Primary to possibly floppy, CD Rom as the secondary, and then the third as the Hard Drive.

That way, the disc will boot up before anything else happens to stop it.

Go back in the BIOS after changing this, and go to Save and Exit. You might have to press Y and then enter again to confirm changes.

CPU FAN/HEATSINK:

You shouldn't have to place any more on by the way, if it came like that.

It may be a much faster processor, with more heat output, and in that case, if you can, remove the side of the case to test if temps go down.

If they do (which they might), you'll have to buy a system fan if none are already in there.

A second option would be to buy a better CPU fan, and depending on case size, there are many soloutions you can try that'll move more air, thus lowering temps, since pre-made cases don't tend to be the most roomiest, or the coolest of places.

I hope this helps :)

Ok guys Sorry I disappeared without responding. Been working. But EVERYTHING in my computer is compatible. The problem was practically nothing. My CPU fan detached itself from the CPU. It was sortof hanging there(my fault, didn't push hard enough I suppose). I opened it up because I was going to put more thermal paste on it...then saw that it was loose, reattached it, and voila, my computer works. I did have to reformat the hard drive, which I expected. Thanks for the help.

Ok guys Sorry I disappeared without responding. Been working. But EVERYTHING in my computer is compatible. The problem was practically nothing. My CPU fan detached itself from the CPU. It was sortof hanging there(my fault, didn't push hard enough I suppose). I opened it up because I was going to put more thermal paste on it...then saw that it was loose, reattached it, and voila, my computer works. I did have to reformat the hard drive, which I expected. Thanks for the help.

Well, that's quite obvious. Glad you got your computer running again!

Back
Top Bottom