Change any url to somthing else

dbzkid

In Runtime
There is a way to do this in windows. I did it before but i forgot. like i could set google.com to be ask.com or ask.com to myspace.com ect... I just want to know how to do this again

Im guessing you mean setting your home page? All you do is goto the site you wanna use as your home page. Then goto tools > internet options > general tab, and click use current, then click ok.

sorry i didnt make it more specific
I ment there is a file in windows (i think its in c:/windows/system32/...) its somewhere around there i just dont remember where it was located exactly

i am trying to change some of the url's like lets say i type in google.com it will redirect it to somthing else like maby myspace.com.

Ahhh, I know what you mean. You are looking for the HOST'S File. It can be found here: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts . If you need any help on how to Edit this file, just write back :).

samurai thanks alot man but yes i did also forget how to edit it. please help, thanks tho

Why?

Im guessing your on about the LMHOSTS or WINS files for name resolution, thats all i can think of, so i could be wrong. Im still not exactly sure why you would need to do this, or even if im on the right lines for what your wanting to do.:)

OK Then. So basically, if you wanted to make ask.com take you to google, you would first need to find out the IP address of google. This Website is good for that. Just fill in the domain name (in this case google.com) and press "find IP address". Then, Copy the IP address it gives you (64.233.167.99).

Now, you need to open the hosts file. I used notepad. You will see load's of text at the top, telling you how to use the file. Underneath that, you will see a line that says:

127.0.0.1 localhost

All you need to do now that you have the IP address, is make a new line, and type:

64.233.167.99 ask.com

Hope that's usefull to you!

Back
Top Bottom