What exactly is SLI?

Crossfire is arguebly better though, as it works on all DirectX 3D applications, unlike nVidias' SLI that only works on games that are in the Driver database (which is updated with every newly released driver).

I think many people overlook this limitation.

[EDIT]
Here's the list of supported nVidia SLI applications. just 400 in all.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_game.html

Some of which are just pathetically never going to need SLI because of the age of the games. This is the reason I simply can't stand SLI. To me it's a marketing ploy, as the game developers probably need to license or pay some sort of royalties to nVidia for SLI support weather it be for cash or free advertising, who knows. nVidia could easily, just like ATI, impliment SLI at DirectX API level to support all DirectX games and apps.

Another advantage is if a new game comes out, you don't need to wait for SLI to support it, Crossfire automatically does.

Crossfire is arguebly better though, as it works on all DirectX 3D applications, unlike nVidias' SLI that only works on games that are in the Driver database (which is updated with every newly released driver).

I think many people overlook this limitation.

[EDIT]
Here's the list of supported nVidia SLI applications. just 400 in all.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_game.html

Some of which are just pathetically never going to need SLI because of the age of the games. This is the reason I simply can't stand SLI. To me it's a marketing ploy, as the game developers probably need to license or pay some sort of royalties to nVidia for SLI support weather it be for cash or free advertising, who knows. nVidia could easily, just like ATI, impliment SLI at DirectX API level to support all DirectX games and apps.

Another advantage is if a new game comes out, you don't need to wait for SLI to support it, Crossfire automatically does.

ohh... so if i was going to get crossfire which i might depending on my budget allowances. what would be good video cards to use that arent guna kill my pockets??

connchri is sadly misinformed. "NVIDIA® SLI™ technology can be enabled for every gaming application" as stated in the very link he posted. The 400 games listed in that link are ones that have been optimized for SLI.

sli can be used on any game or app that uses the gpu
in the driver section u pic wather u want the cards to split half the work for better preformance
or creat the same image twice then add them togeather for better looking games
most of the time sli really only gives u more fps at a higher rezz
put having sli like lets say 7600 in sli should be able to run any thing that can be thrown at a 7900 just becouse of the dual gpu
but its always better to have one better card then sli

connchri is sadly misinformed. "NVIDIA® SLI™ technology can be enabled for every gaming application" as stated in the very link he posted. The 400 games listed in that link are ones that have been optimized for SLI.

Wrong my friend. Backup your statement with benchmarks, and you'll be surprised.

What they mean by enabled, is that it'll work when sli is enabled, but not nessesaraly gain any performence.

Back
Top Bottom