Graphics Problems

Le_Hussard

Solid State Member
Hello,

I have been experiencing 3D graphics problems for the past few months, and I cannot figure out what is going on.

Here is the problem: sometimes textures are drawn on random triangles or other simple geometric shapes all over the screen rather than on their proper objects. For example, if I have a character wearing a shirt, sometimes there will be big lines stretching out of this character that are the colour of the shirt. Sometimes proper textures can also get replaced by a mixture of bright colours. This can happen in any game. Also, the graphics card's performance seems to have dropped significantly from what it used to be.

Of course, my first thought was that the graphics card broke and had to be sent out to be repaired/replaced, but then I tested it on my friend's computer, and none of the problems were there even after a few hours of playing games (the games ran much more smoothly on the same resolution, without any graphics distortions). I have tried different versions of drivers as well, and it did not help.

Here are the specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Graphics: NVidia GeForce 7900 GTX (LeadTek WinFast PX7900 GTX TDH)
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi
Hard drive: WesternDigital Raptor (150 GB)

I would really appreciate any help.

The OS is Windows XP Professional. My friend's computer where we tested the graphics card was the same. I haven't installed any new hardware.

I should add that the problem has been there ever since I built the computer a year ago, but at that time it was so rare that I simply didn't give it any thought and simply restarted. Right now, however, I'm having problems about every time I run a game.

Could this be a problem with the PCI express port on the motherboard? And if so, how would I know for sure?

Well, if you tested it on a friend's computer, then it cannot be the pci-e port on your mobo, unless he has the same one with the same problem.

I think that the problem lies withing the Graphics card. As to what it is, I have no clue.

If it's starting to artifact up, then it's probably an issue with your video card. Either inadequate power from the power supply or the card has just reached it's limit, a dissapointment provided that it is such a powerful card still, and should be relatively new.

Wait, but the point is that when we tested this graphics card on my friend's computer (took it out of mine and put it into his), we did not see any problems at all. It worked perfectly there, so shouldn't this be an issue with some other component in my own computer? I just can't seem to figure out which one.

Oh, then the problem is not with the card. Then it can be a number of problems. The pci-e port might have a problem. Since you have two ports, you should try the second one out. If that one doesn't work then it's probably not your mobo.

Back
Top Bottom