Cannot copy???

PCPatrick

Solid State Member
Guys, I'd appreciate any help with a MAJOR issue I'm having... I've attempted to move all Word documents from my Dell laptop (which apparently has a fast failing harddrive) to a travel drive. All 100 or so documents were able to be copied and moved EXCEPT ONE... When I attempt to copy and move this particular file, I get the message "Cannot copy <file name>: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

I've also tried to open the document and then save it to my travel disc but Word will not open, for whatever reason, on my laptop.

I've also tried to email the file from my internet browser to my desktop but IE will not open, for whatever reason, on my laptop.

I've also tried to email the file from my laptop to my desktop using my laptop's Outlook Express, but I receive the error message, "This message could not be sent. An error has occurred."

Wouldn't you know that the file I cannot copy is my second or third most important document!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can retrieve this file? I would be forever grateful...
--
Patrick

It sounds like the file is corrupted on the HDD, you could maybe try running chkdsk on the HDD to see if that can sort out the error, and then copy the file.

can you open word then open the doc from in word? or open in notepad.

shit happens. take it as a loss, rewrite it. unless its reallllllly long, try everything you can.

It sounds like the file is corrupted on the HDD, you could maybe try running chkdsk on the HDD to see if that can sort out the error, and then copy the file.

Raffaz,
Would I run chkdsk from the "Reinstallation CD MS Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2" disc that came w/ my laptop or from somewhere else? Thanks.

I used the Reinstallation CD to try to run chkdsk. After I put the CD in and restart my laptop, it takes me to my desktop. I would think it would bring me straight to a command prompt or the like. Or am I suppose to be pressing F-something while my laptop is rebooting? Thanks.

run chkdsk /r command from the run prompt in XP (hold windows key + R). You will probably have to reboot for it to start.

Right, this might sound really stupid, but can't you just copy it, paste it into a Notepad doc, and transfer that?

Back
Top Bottom