Wireless Routers

ekom

Beta member
I currently have a Linksys 802.11b router. It is a floor below where i typically have my laptop. I will frequently lose my connection and/or get very slow connection speeds. The connection usually comes back on, on its own, but sometimes I need to unplug the router and replug it in. Since the router has some years on it I figured I was due for a new one. Would buying a new router be the best approach to fixing this problem? If so which standard should would be the best? Will i be able to use 'N' on my laptops current ABG receiver?

well, first off, what is inbetween your router and your laptop? besides the floor, also try bending one of the antennas (if you can) flat, so there is one vertical and one horizontal, that should fix it, if not, wireless N will be faster but your ABG card will not be able to run N, you'd have to get a wireless N pcmia card for N or wireless usb for it, try that approach with bending the antennas, lemme know and we'll trouble shoot from there

You also need to take into consideration interference caused by cordless phones and even microwave ovens. Every time our phone rings, it messes with the computers on the wireless connection. Routers broadcast in the 2.4GHz range, as do most newer cordless phones and a lot of other wireless contraptions.

But then, if it is quite old, a new router may be needed. Just stick with the standard G routers. The N routers seem to be overpriced.

ya N really hasnt proved itself yet, i mean sure you can stream HD video and such over your network, but who has that already? nobody, so might as well wait until they become readily available at good prices and can be used to their full potential, i say just get a new router..

I have the same problem when the phone rings the connection dies. Im at work now but when I get home I will try the antena thing and report back.

my wireless router was free off bt and its over a year old (but it came out ages ago) and when im on my room which is kind of above the router i get 4 or 5 bars and i never have problems. i always thought linksys were good though.
anyways you could try changing the channel in the router properties to see if that makes a difference and also move it away from any phones, tv's and stuff like that.
if its truly fcuked id just stick with a g router. it will be fine for another few years

Tried the antenna positioning, but did not help. What router would you guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom