Hard Drive Problems

culexor

Daemon Poster
Okay, so, about a week ago I was playing Garry's Mod. After a few hours of playing the dredded blue screen came up. I restarted and the mobo had trouble with PCI (I don't remember the details) I re-restarted and all that happened was BEEP BEEP BEEP. I took out my video card and restarted, nothing happened. I put it back in and BEEP again. Then I switched mobos and it opened up BIOS and everthing normally. Then I went to boot windows and it flashed the xp screen and then the bluescreen flashed and it restarted. I tried again and again and the same kept happening. I then tried booting ubuntu (i had an extra disc laying around) and it worked fine. I then installed it over everything (I needed to wipe anyway) and then tried installing xp over ubuntu but xp couldnt fine my Hard Drive. I made sure it was plugged in (which it was) and tried again, same problem. So now that is my main problem. So is it BIOS thats messing with it, or xp is retarded or some kind of formatting error on my Hard Drive?

ok could be faulty ram , run memtest x 86 also can you clarify exactly what happened maybe a list like 1) 2)
another thing are they the specs in your sig

theyre the correct specs except for the mobo now its an Asus K8S-MX. heres what happened:

1) blue screen came when playing garrysmod
2) restarted comp
3) got screen in bios saying something about some pci or hardware error
4) restarted again but it just beeped and nothing else
5) took our video card and turned comp on, nothing
6) put video card back in and turned on, beeping again
7) switched motherboards (from chaintech mk8t890 to asus k8s-mx)
8) regular boot screen came up
9) then bios said "cpu not recognized by bios and cpu fan error" (i know the fan problem...the blue cord is broken)
10) then i told it to ignore the error and to continue with boot
11) booted xp and the loading screen came up for a millisecond and then the blue screen flashed and restarted
12) tried installing xp and it couldnt find the drive
13) tried installing ubuntu and it worked
14) step 12 repeated
15) used different sata cables (didnt do anything)
16) took out 1.5gb/s jumper on hdd
17) repeated step 12
18) posted on foums (using ubuntu)

i will give you the results of the memtest after i run it

Try resetting the CMOS by using the jumper or by pulling out the battery for a couple minutes and unplugging the PC.

What was the exact series of beeps?? For example, it could've been long short short or beep pause beep beep.

Usually 3 beeps means something to do with the memory, but if memtest passed, it should be fine...
See if resetting the CMOS helps.

I fixed it, I'm on windows now. I put the old mobo in because the raid settings were already loaded on it so xp could read the sata hdd. Thanks for all your help. Now I just have to get all of the drivers installed...too bad the manufacturers site is in taiwan (SLOW)

Back
Top Bottom