I'm planning on upgrading my RAM...

JCMS

Baseband Member
Ok so now I have 2x512MB PC-3200
My MB is an Asus K8N4-E
On the page with the "recommanded configurations" it's only using 2 DIMMs for 400 and 333mhz. It says that doing otherwise may cause memory sizing problems and boot failure. I'd want to have 2GB but I don't really feel like spending $200CAD on 2x1GB. Could using 3 DIMMs destroy my motherboard?

Thanks,

The recommended configuration is probably to run it in Dual-Channel. If your borad has physicaly 3-4... whatever the number is of slots. It is safe to use as many as you wish.

Keep in mind that if you put an uneven amout of memory sticks you will be running them in Single Channel. This is about how everybody is using their ram. Dual channel in simple, gives the ram a bit more of a perfomance boost. Unless you are an active gamer. You don't have to worry about Dual- Channel Ram.

Okay thanks. I game a alot but I'm sticking with a mid-end computer (My CPU is a Sempron 3100+ and is enough for me...)

The performence will still be way better than with 1GB right?

My guess is the world will end by 100 years.

ok new viewers, look at how random allen's statement is. there is this guy who wants to upgrade his ram and allen says the world will end in 100 years. wat the fck does that have to do with anything now?:D

lol so random! btw i think u mis posted. its supposed to be in the 100 years post. dont waste time for a pic to load. there isnt one.

The jump from 1 gb to 2 gb isn't going to be that big of a difference than from 512 to 1 gb. Unless you notice that you really need the extra ram. You wont see much of a difference. But more ram could never hurt. I believe 2 gb is either the new recommended amount of ram or will soon replace the old 1gb.

the reason it may not boot is because your mobo might only be able to handle 1gb of ddr400 or ddr333 but 2gb of ddr200 or lower ;)

Back
Top Bottom