how to install old cpu

sfxhewitt

In Runtime
hi im upgrading a friends cpu he has a quite awfull one at the moment and cant afford to buy a new computer he has a intel celeron processor socket 370 it has the tinyest fan on it lol i was just woundering how to install a new one there is a metal thing that looks like it can be pushed back to release this other little metal thing but just want to be sure thanks and also it says socket 370 (PPGA) dunno if tha ppga is a different type of cpu so i put it down thanks

To put a new fan in? Just a case of taking the old one off, and putting the new one on(unscrewing then screwing back on and depending on the fan size). Try not to move the heatsink as it is best to try and keep the seal between the CPU and the thermal paste. :)

Well, the name should of give that away to me. I'm silly :p Anywho...

Just unscrew the metal bit thats on the fan which will also unscrew the fan, now depending on your headsink you should be able to jus pop it off with a lever of some sort which clips it to the motherboard, when thats off, there should be another lever to enable you to pull the proccesor out, just pull that up and take it out, to put the new one in just do that in reverse order only make sure you apply thermal paste to the CPU before you put the heatsink back on. Hope it helps any :)

Well, I'll have to tell you one thing about them: Whatch for PPGA and PPGA2.

That means, that if you dd in a Celeron 1.0GHZ or PIII 933MHZ or anything with Tualatin, it won't work. The PPGA2 is one pin different.

You could insert any PIII 550-850MHZ with a 100MHZ FSB. No 133FSB.

i dont understand i used cpuz to determain what type of cpu was in the board and it said it was an intel celeron socket370 PPGA so what type of cpu should i buy

You should buy a Pentium III 500-850MHZ. Any CPU with a 0 at the end (ex: 500, 550, 600, 650, 700, 750, etc...)

The PPGA2 is a newer Socket 370. don't bother with that.

Back
Top Bottom