Password a network directory?

you also may need to disable simple file sharing in Xp. Just click Tools... folder options... and uncheck the simple file sharing box. That will allow you to change permissions on folders. :)
great tip! i didnt know about that. +1 :D
edit: sorry to hijack the thread but this is the same question the guy needs help with. i can get to the permissions and stuff but i dont know what to tick to create a password prompt. i can only seem to either allow or block a computer

you also may need to disable simple file sharing in Xp. Just click Tools... folder options... and uncheck the simple file sharing box. That will allow you to change permissions on folders. :)
This will only work on XP pro, the home version doesnt have this.

great tip! i didnt know about that. +1 :D
edit: sorry to hijack the thread but this is the same question the guy needs help with. i can get to the permissions and stuff but i dont know what to tick to create a password prompt. i can only seem to either allow or block a computer
Ha ha, you mustnt have read my post earlier in the thread then i mentioned that ages ago lol:)

@raffaz. ive removed the everyone group but it just says access denied on other pc's now. i want any pc to access a folder on my computer, as long as they enter the right password

yes, i dont want permissions of grouops. i want a password, and then all files and sub directories within will be accessable

Your gonna need some type of 3rd party software for this.

If you own more than one computer and have a local area network, you can restrict who has access to what by setting the "share" privileges on Folders.

On the other hand: if you only own 1 computer and have more than 1 person sharing it, Windows XP does not offer any way to password protect files or folders unless you choose to Compress the folder using ZIP.

The downside is that this method is not very intuitive and requires a lot of 'extra steps'; and although compressing a folder will keep files private (to some degree), there are no security measures in place to protect the ZIP folder and its contents from being deleted arbitrarily.

Back
Top Bottom