Computer wont recognise XP 64bit CD or Vista CD

Both XP 64 and Vista wont boot, i do use a dvd drive aswell, they both boot in my brothers computer, just not mine, the only thing that will boot in mine is XP 32bit service pack 2. i totaly refreshed my whole computer reset mobo, formated HD. nothing works, how would i boot from floppy, what files do i need to write to it?

I also think the problem might be with my HD, cos when my computer is loading into windows it takes ages after the Windows loading logo. its not my Ram as i have 3gig. so i was thinking maybe my HD has gotten slower or something?

i doubt it. to create a boot disc insert a floppy disc into your pc and right click it in my computer. go to format, and click "create an ms dos start disc". then when done set the bios to load from floppy

my current os is 32 bit so if i make a boot disc it wil also be 32 bit, how would i make a 64 bit one for the XP 64, or will the normal 32bit work aswell?

is there any way of making a boot disc from the files on my XP 64 cd?

also once you get into dos A:\ what do i need to type to get cd to boot as im not verry dos savy, meaning i know no dos commands unfortunately...

ive even used a 98 boot disc before lol. as long as you get the code to load up the cd/dvd it should be fine. try typing in "d:\setup.exe" (d may not be the letter of your cd/dvd drive though. just put in the correct letter). if that doesnt work then try typing in "d:" first then doing it. im also not too good with dos but these are fairly simple commands. if no luck then you can install off your hdd like raffaz said

its just crazy, it wont recognise any other drive appart from a:
it says invalid drive letter? but when i log into windows all my drives are working fine

how would i go about loading from HDD, what would i have to write in dos?

hmm if you type in "d:" that should change the "a:\" to a "d:\" if thats your drive letter. why this isnt working for you i dont know. is there a part in the bios showing all your cd/dvd drives?
edit: you copy the files from the cd or dvd to a folder on your computer then re load dos like before but you need to type in a different code. the best place to put the files is in a folder in your c drive, eg: test. then you would type in "c:\test\setup.exe"

When you first boot from floppy it should tell you your CD drive letter, it might not be the same as the drive letter in your OS, so try some different ones.

One thing to add here is, when you copy your installation folder to your HDD it needs to be FAT because DOS cant read NTFS.

Back
Top Bottom